Cover A Cake Board In Fondant?

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm by tiptop57

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 10

I've seen so many beautiful cake boards covered in fondant, but how is it done? do you put down icing first? Is the cake on another cake board and then attached on top of the covered cake board? I wouldn't even know how to cover the cake board with fondant and put the cake directly on top of that, covering that in fondant without ruining the cakeboard's decorations. I'm confused, please help or explain how it's done! It looks so neat! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 10

I don't use fondant often. But I'm working on a project now for my SIL's baby shower.

I just covered a board in fondant. I use masonite boards. I rolled the fondant slightly larger than the board. I then took a wet papertowel and wiped the board. Don't saturate it, though. Just a light swipe. Then I placed the fondant on top of that and smoothed it with a fondant smoother (working out as many air bubbles as possible, sometimes a pin works for this step, too). Trim any extra from the sides. Set aside to dry. (I'm letting my set up overnight.) You can attach a ribbon to the side to complete the board. .... Now, some people don't use water, some place fondant on a dry board, some use thinned piping gel... There are various ways to go about it.

I will be placing my fondant covered cakes on cake boards before placing them on the dry fondant covered board.

I'm sure you'll get great advice from those who work with it more often. HTH! icon_smile.gif

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 10

Ok that was EXACTLY what I had thought happened in my head, hehe icon_biggrin.gif I couldn't imagine placing it directly onto the covered board, i'm just not that good, i'm too messy! icon_smile.gif Thanks for th einfo! I'm going to do it tonight and let it cool over night too! Thanks again!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #4 of 10

I used to use fondant for all of my cake drums (I now reallly have transitioned over to RI, but truly, most of my cakes have fondant-covered boards). Here's what you do: You do put your cake (while decorating on a cake circle. Do everythng but the bottom trim, if any. Cover your board ahead of time, like you regularly would, to give it plenty of time to dry and firm up (that way you don't risk finger prints as much as you would if it were fresh). To cover your board, you can simply roll out your fondant as you normally would, and spread a thin layer of thinned gel, RI, or sprinkle a little water on your drum (I generally use very thin RI). Then simply spread out your fondant, as you would on your cake, and smooth out, exactly as you would on your cake. Trim the edges, and let it set for at least a few hours before you mount your cake (on your cake circle) on top.

Good luck! HTH!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 10

I don't cover the whole board, I find it is a waste of fondant. After placing your cake on the board, i roll aout a strip of fondant and wrap around the tier on the board, adhering with water or glue. When you roll out your strip, cut a straight edge on the side that is going up against the cake, and just ease it around the cake and board. Then trim off excess on outside edge.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 10

MissRobin, for those of us who are still getting used to working with fondant, could we just roll out a solid sheet of fondant onto the cake board and then cut out the center to save on fondant? Or is it too hard to get the right sized hole? I was thinking of using a cake pan as my guide. I'm getting ready to do my first fondant covered board in a few weeks, so I am very interested in this thread.

MissRobin Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

MissRobin, for those of us who are still getting used to working with fondant, could we just roll out a solid sheet of fondant onto the cake board and then cut out the center to save on fondant? Or is it too hard to get the right sized hole? I was thinking of using a cake pan as my guide. I'm getting ready to do my first fondant covered board in a few weeks, so I am very interested in this thread.

You could do it that way, whatever you are comfortable with and is easiest. I just don't really want to roll out that much fondant if I don't have to.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks MissRobin, I didn't think of that!

MissRobin Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Thanks MissRobin, I didn't think of that!

You are quite welcome!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 10

There are several ways to cover a board with fondant:

1. Roll out a fondant sausage and flatten with a rolling pin cutting one side straight lay on wetted board butted up to the cake and hanging over edge and then trim the edges and corners neatly with palette knife.

Sample: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1173729

2. Cover the entire cake and the board together. Measure the dimensions (i.e. 8" round) add the height (i.e. 4") and the difference of the cake board (i.e. 10 " cake board would have two extra inches.) The example I stated would be to roll out at least a 14 inch round and then I would give myself one more inch for good measure.

Sample: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1422733

3. Another way is to cover the board first then add the cake. I precover my cake on another cake board trimmed to size so I can adjust it when placing it on the cake drum. This way you can get two colors.

Sample: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1317230

4. Another way is to lay the fondant over the space you want to cover and then precover your cake on an another cake board trimmed to size so you can adjust it and you wonât be âwastingâ fondant underneath the cake as I did in this cake since it has a fondant book cover on the bottom.

Sample: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1458783

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%