Two Different Kinds Of Makin's Extruders??

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm by __Jamie__

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 9

So last night I came across a Makin's extruder that was $2.95 and $2.95 shipping. I've been looking for one mainly to do hair on figures, so I thought this was a great deal and I quickly snapped it up.

However it does NOT have the turning hand crank. Instead it is a plunger type extruder where you push the fondant out. Did I buy the wrong thing? Is it somehow less quality than the crank one? When I looked at Makin's site, the US site shows the hand crank version, but when I went to the European site it showed the plunger version that I bought. Will it still be satisfactory for my needs, or did I just waste $6, trying to save money on a more expensive kind. icon_razz.gif

TIA!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 9

Usually the reason people want the twist-top is because it's a lot easier on the hands. You can try the one you bought and if you end up struggling with it, then upgrade. Kneading some shortening into the fondant makes it go through the extruder more easily.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you!

Your posts are always so helpful. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9

Yep, you wasted $6.00 trying to save money. The $30 extruder may be more expensive, but the work is so much less, you can make longer strands, it doesn't uhrt your hands..on and on, I could go.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 9

If you have a hard time pushing the plunger and you don't need really long strands for the hair, try turning the extruder upside down on a sturdy surface that won't slip or dent. A wood cutting board is good. Hold the barrel with both hands and gently push straight down. Just make sure there's no shortening on the barrel or your hands so you have a good grip.

The screw type is soooo much easier to use and well worth the money! And like Tx Rose said, knead in some shortening and rub a little on the outside of the fondant before you insert it into the extruder.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

I did exactly the same as you. I bought the little silver plunger one and it really hurt my hand.

Then I saw the green one with the crank and used a Michael's coupon to buy it....SO much easier.

p.s. With it being a bit easier to use, you may find yourself going to it for more than you thought. Borders, edging, all sorts of stuff is more consistent and even if you use the extruder.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9

Would someone please post a link to the one with the twist top? I've never seen it.

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 9

And...in stock at ABC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%