Gum Paste Flowers On Cake Top?

Decorating By cjcakie Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm by cjcakie

cjcakie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi -
I want to cover a cake top with oodles of gum paste flowers like daisies or violets. My questions are can I start making the flowers two weeks ahead? When serving, do you just cut right through the flowers and serve with the cake? Cake will be frosted with bc.

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 8

you could make them months in advance, they will still look the same, if they are stored somewhere cool and dry, and out of sun light.

you could serve them, they are technically edible (as long as you dont use inedible things like floral wires or fake stamens, which would need removed first), although most people find them too hard to really like them. cutting through them will break them though, so it wont look as pretty on the plate as you might hope. so it might be better to remove them - but it depends how they are laid out and if you really want a nice clean slice.

you might want to consider doing them in fresh fondant, so they stay soft. a different look, but easier to cut through and eat.
xx

cjcakie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 8

thanks brincess! I'm doing a tiered cake for my grandmother's 90th birthday and I have to transport a couple hundred miles and assemble that morning. I thought about using fondant but can I do that and have them hold a cupped shape and still be soft?

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 8

You can do them in fondant and let them dry, and then when you put them on the buttercream, they'll soften up a bit so they're easier to eat.

cjcakie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 8

Aha! Thanks so much. I sure hope I don't mess this one up! {{fingers crossed!}}

brincess_b Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 8

the fondant will dry enough to support the shape, but it will probably be more fragile than gumaste.

gather up everything you can to help suport the flowers - id be thinking mainly egg boxes, or fruit packaging.

im sure it will go fine - but it never hurts to have a back up plan and be open to change!
xx

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 8

I usually just store fondant flowers in cardboard trays (like the ones bottled water comes in), on a couple of layers of paper towel. Once they're totally dry, they're fairly tough and not as brittle as gumpaste, at least for me.

cjcakie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 8

I'm actually more nervous about this than anything I've ever done! Thanks for all the advice and support!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%