Preval Sprayer Plus Lucks Airbrush Equals Dripping Mess

Decorating By staceycakes7 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:41am by staceycakes7

staceycakes7 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 10

Trying to figure out what I did wrong...I had a really nicely covered fondant car and I had to remove it after I sprayed it with Lucks Silver Airbrush.The color was just wet and dripping. I wasn't close to it and I actually sprayed alot of my counter trying to keep a far distance.

The fondant just became wet and mushy....anyone have any idea what I did wrong???

9 replies
staceycakes7 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 10

and I used a preval sprayer

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

My guess is there is no condensation catch that most airbrushes have to collect the water that causes spitting or dripping.Actually I don't think the preval sprayer is meant to spray food product.Others say yes..I would beg to differ...I would invest in a proper airbrush like Badger or Airmaster.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 10

I had to thin it with Everclear. My preval did good with whatever brand of luster dusty type stuff I bought--sorry it's packed away somewhere but I got mine to do good. But I only tested in on cast sugar I think--Hmmm, I don't know if I tested it on fondant--no yeah I did--it worked great.

But I totally needed the alcohol to thin it out.

Even when I paint (with a brush) on fondant I need the alcohol in there with my airbrush color.

I also use a hair dryer if necessary to help dry my paint.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #5 of 10

Yes and this was on all inedible stuff--displays. I would only use my airbrush for food.

staceycakes7 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 10

OK maybe thinning was the issue, I just used it straight. I watched amazing wedding cakes and Chrisopher Garrens bakery uses them all the time, that 's where I got the idea form. But I noticed in general that the airbrush paint is very wet-(for loack of a better word) and even painting it on it still makes the fondant very sticy!

I take it the everclear will take care or that even if I just try to paint directly with it-(the airbrush paint)???

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 10

In my airbrush I use airbrush color straight up or add water to lighten the color. I guess the airbrush diffuses the color better?

In the preval and when I paint with a brush I thin my air brush color with the eveclear.

staceycakes7 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #8 of 10

Ok, thanks I will try thinning it...just curious putting water on the fondant doesn't make it sticky??

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #9 of 10

I put the water in the air brush to tone down the color I'm spraying. It's not any damper than with the color alone. I just meant I don't put everclear in my airbrush, sometimes I put water but not everclear.

Well then when I sprayed pearl dust I used everclear in that before they came out with the already liquid pearlized sprays.

Sorry if I'm confusing you--I think I'm confusing me too. icon_biggrin.gif

staceycakes7 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #10 of 10

lol it's ok thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%