Vent!! I Can't Stand My County!!

Business By onlymadaresane Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm by katefrosting

onlymadaresane Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 27

I live in Missouri. I just found out that my county there is 'no way no how' to be licensed in a residential setting.

Best option to rent a commercial kitchen for time needed to bake and decorate a cake.

It's so not worth it. The cost of renting a commercial setting --- I'd NEVER make a dime. At the moment I don't have enough 'customers' to validate renting a kitchen for ONE $30 cake!!

I'm flustered. This is something I really want to do- I like the idea of baking for my family and friends of friends...and such and mentioned that...he said that's fine as long as I don't charge them a dime for services. Yes -- I'm going to make you a cake worth $60 bucks and let it cost me to do so. icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay. That's my vent.

I think I'll just move. It'll be easier.

26 replies
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 27

This is precisely why many custom cake designers (like myself) set a minimum order amount... I simply don't DO $30 cakes. I don't turn my oven on for a custom order for less than $150 right now (and when I get a storefront--I freelance out of a commercial kitchen at the moment--that price is going to jump to $250).

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

This is precisely why many custom cake designers (like myself) set a minimum order amount... I simply don't DO $30 cakes. I don't turn my oven on for a custom order for less than $150 right now (and when I get a storefront--I freelance out of a commercial kitchen at the moment--that price is going to jump to $250).

You said it Chef. thumbs_up.gif

Motta Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 27

OH YEAH....I can relate to your frustration. I'm currently trying to open my home-based business and getting nothing but conflicting info. The county says I can't have a second kitchen in my home for commercial use. The health dept. says I must have a second kitchen or no business. I know of a few cake decorators working legitimately out of their second home kitchen and they live in the county. I'm now fighting county hall and you know the old saying ....you can't fight city hall.
Anyways, I digress.....

Let me just tell you you're not alone. I will absolutely take the others' advice and charge what I'm worth when I'm legit. No $30 cakes for us.

ccr03 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 27

onlymadaresane, you say you are in KCMO. You can have a home bakery, but it must be a commercial kitchen. Oh, or are you saying in a residential kitchen setting?

Anyway, yeah, the two options would be rent a kitchen or build a commercial kitchen in your home - which is still a lot of $$$. But you still couldn't have customers come to your house.

I do feel your pain. I went through the same thing. But cheer up - things will work out evntually! They have for me icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 27

Try Ohio or Kentucky.

brikl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 27

k8memphis, what do you mean? I live in KY and it's the same deal as in Missouri, apparently.

CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:49am
post #8 of 27

Welcome to the entire state of California icon_smile.gif it sucks......

-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikl

k8memphis, what do you mean? I live in KY and it's the same deal as in Missouri, apparently.

Sorry I didn't know of anywhere in Kentucky where you can't bake from home legally because I have friends in Kentucky who bake legally from thier homes.

I'm in Tennessee and I'm the same as you because I have lots of friends here in my state who bake legally but not in my county.

It's a county by county thing huh. I'm in the same boat.

poohsmomma Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 27

I'm in Ky, and I can bake legally from my home IF I have a separate, licensed, inspected kitchen-not my home kitchen....which I don't, so I'm just a hobbyist, and my family eats lots of cake.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 27

I thought it was true for all over Kentucky but where are you located, Brikl?

Win Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I'm in Ky, and I can bake legally from my home IF I have a separate, licensed, inspected kitchen-not my home kitchen....which I don't, so I'm just a hobbyist, and my family eats lots of cake.

Yep. Dead right.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/FCS9/FCS9100/FCS9100.pdf

I think my family and friends are getting sick of me "volunteering" cake for any occasion... "going to the dry cleaner, oh, let me bring a cake!" icon_lol.gif

CakeDiane Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 27

I'm in the exact same predicament as the OP--I was thinking of trying to find other people in my area who are in the same situation and seeing if it would be possible to share a space with them ...not necessarily be "partners" --we would each run our own small business--but share the kitchen space.

Do you guys think that would work or am I asking for trouble??

Tellis12 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 27

I live in Cincinnati, OH but in Sycamore Twp (if that makes sense). I live in Hamilton county, where I can legally bake out of my home, no other kitchen or license necessary. However, if I were to move within the cincinnati city limits I wouldn't be able to bake out of my home at all. Go figure... Ah government, it makes so much sense sometimes!

auntginn Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 27

The same went for me. CA is a stickler and they really stick it too you. I found a Commercial Bakery that would let me rent on a "as needed" basis. Little more pricey but worked until I could build up the orders and customers. Then I moved to another.

But that is why overhead eats up the profits. I am now looking for an industrial location to convert into a commercial kitchen. My work is by special order anyway and would only need an office for appts. The rent is cheaper in an industrial park than retail space on a busy street.

Works for me, HTH

brikl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 27

K8Memphis--I'm in Jefferson County. I thought it was the same all over in KY, but maybe it's not. Yes, I'd have to have a separate kitchen that was certified. Also, I think I'd have to take classes in food safety and be certified that way, too.

My cake decorating teacher said she was thinking of opening a place with several commercial kitchens to rent out, but I imagine that would take a lot of money.

The nearest place to rent around here is 1 1/2 hours away. I found an interesting website: http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/ There is a list of states and you can click on your state to see what's available.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:

K8Memphis--I'm in Jefferson County/Louisville. I thought it was the same all over in KY, but maybe it's not. Yes, I'd have to have a separate kitchen that was certified.

Brikl, to me that means you can do it. Your only obstacle is money which I'll grant you can be a challenge.

sweetreasures Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I live in a rural area and was pleasantly surprised to find out from the county that I could have a separate commercial kitchen on my property. I have a large storage shed I want to convert to a studio living area. I asked if I could convert it to a commercial kitchen and was told yes but I could not have customers come to my home. I know this is not something that would work for most in California, nor for me due to the expense, but it's good to know that it could be an option in the future.

I was also told that any food establishment is inspected etc etc and can be used, I just have to find one that will rent to me. They call them commissaries here.

brikl Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 27

K8Memphis--I stand corrected--you're absolutely right. The impossibility is in my mind-set and way of viewing the situation, not in the laws here icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #20 of 27

You're not alone. This subject comes up at least once a week around here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I live in a rural area and was pleasantly surprised to find out from the county that I could have a separate commercial kitchen on my property. I have a large storage shed I want to convert to a studio living area. I asked if I could convert it to a commercial kitchen and was told yes but I could not have customers come to my home. I know this is not something that would work for most in California, nor for me due to the expense, but it's good to know that it could be an option in the future.

I was also told that any food establishment is inspected etc etc and can be used, I just have to find one that will rent to me. They call them commissaries here.

I also live in Cali. Where are you located at...if you dont mind me asking?? And where do I find commissaries?

sweetreasures Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:26pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I also live in Cali. Where are you located at...if you dont mind me asking?? And where do I find commissaries?

We are "neighbors". I live in Calaveras County. I asked the county about a commercial kitchen, some places call incubator kitchens and they knew what I was talking about. They are called commissaries here.

Besides looking in Stockton / Lodi, you could also give Stanislaus county a call. There is a cake supply store in Modesto that looks to have a kitchen. She re-packages food items like icings etc but I didn't look to closely to notice if she has an oven and would be open to renting.

Kat's Cakes is located in Stockton. She has a few cake supplies which is why I went there, and for some reason I always think of her place as a possibility to rent if it weren't so far to go. Worth a phone call to find out.

tinygoose Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #23 of 27

http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/

Try this!!

Whoops I didn't notice that someone else had already posted this, sorry.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:

K8Memphis--I stand corrected--you're absolutely right. The impossibility is in my mind-set and way of viewing the situation, not in the laws here icon_rolleyes.gif

So...I'm glad you can see the crack in the door widening a bit. icon_biggrin.gif

Give it some time...

Normita Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:20am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

We are "neighbors". I live in Calaveras County. I asked the county about a commercial kitchen, some places call incubator kitchens and they knew what I was talking about. They are called commissaries here.

Besides looking in Stockton / Lodi, you could also give Stanislaus county a call. There is a cake supply store in Modesto that looks to have a kitchen. She re-packages food items like icings etc but I didn't look to closely to notice if she has an oven and would be open to renting.

Kat's Cakes is located in Stockton. She has a few cake supplies which is why I went there, and for some reason I always think of her place as a possibility to rent if it weren't so far to go. Worth a phone call to find out.

I know of the place in Modesto you are referring to...it is called Edwards cake and candy...but I dont think they have an oven. As far as Kats cakes...I have bought some of my supplies from her (especially high ratio shortening) but I dont know how willing she would be to rent me the place. I have to check it out

kansaswolf Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #26 of 27

To OP: You can be legal over here in Johnson County, MO! Warrensburg, Knob Noster, some little place in the country (like me)... As long as you're not selling over $20,000 worth of stuff per year... icon_biggrin.gif

So sorry things aren't going like you'd like them... icon_sad.gif I'm wondering if you could just make some good buddies in Johnson Co, then go bake at THEIR house, thus eliminating all overhead besides gas... icon_lol.gif

katefrosting Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

I live in Missouri. I just found out that my county there is 'no way no how' to be licensed in a residential setting.

Best option to rent a commercial kitchen for time needed to bake and decorate a cake.

It's so not worth it. The cost of renting a commercial setting --- I'd NEVER make a dime. At the moment I don't have enough 'customers' to validate renting a kitchen for ONE $30 cake!!

I'm flustered. This is something I really want to do- I like the idea of baking for my family and friends of friends...and such and mentioned that...he said that's fine as long as I don't charge them a dime for services. Yes -- I'm going to make you a cake worth $60 bucks and let it cost me to do so. icon_rolleyes.gif

Okay. That's my vent.

I think I'll just move. It'll be easier.

So, if you don't charge, you can serve cakes (and all kinds of other foods)to all your friends, family, and kiddoes' school mates, from a kitchen that would fail a health inspection? Not that bakers should have a free ride when other food operations are required to comply, but there is a huge difference in food safety issues with cake than with other types of food.

Why isn't periodic inspection sufficient for a small home-based operation?
What is the government's interest in regulating small cake business to extinction?

I'm in Los Angeles County so I know how severe county and state regulations can be. I've looked into renting kitchen time. It was about $25 an hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%