Kids School Competitions(Ideas Needed)

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 12:46am by kmdrysdale

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 3

Ok I am teaching my self cake decorating till i can get to the wilton courses. Well in my girls school they have kinda a competition. and Cake decorating is one thing she can enter and we me learning she is really excited about do it. so my question is What would be a good cake idea to enter this that won't be too hard. I was thinking a FBT but then am thinking will that be too hard? She is 8.5 and she has made a bunny cake before. I know for sure they judge on piping as for anything else i do not know.

She was thinking something with a Horse and a girl on it or something like that.
and then she was thinking about doing something with strawberry shortcake
any idea with these ? Or what she could do?

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

My daughter insists on entering the school contest every year (and we have to pay $3 to get the cake back after the contest). Both years the theme was creepy crawlers...here are her two cakes
This one was from kindergarten.
And the snake was when she was in first grade.

She didn't win anything either time. The winners were all cakes that looked really messy. I think the judges chose the messiest ones because they figured kids had really made those. And the sad thing is, she spent a lot of time on her cakes...when she made the bugs she worked on it almost all weekend. So I tried to discourage her from entering this year but she has already been making plans...last time we were at HEB she asked the bakery guy for a disposable plastic cake box and she has been drawing pictures of what she has in mind. I'm afraid she's going to do something else really fancy and not win again (and last year she almost flung the cake against the wall on the way home).

I think this year if she enters, I'm going to take step-by-step pictures of her doing everything and let her write a little note to attach to the cake that says, "If you'd like to learn to make my cake, check out my blog on..."

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 3

those are cute cakes, The thing with this competition is i might be one of the judges as it is for a small private school and i am a teacher there as well. So they look for people who know a bit about the subject to judge. (not that i know a lot but more than others)

I just want her to be able to do this cake and me to stay out of it lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%