Help!! Diet Requirements!!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 5

I was told today that the cake I am preparing for next week should have no gelatin or marshmallows in the fondant, since they are a product of ground bone. Kosher marshmallows should cover me for this, right? IS there any other alternative to the gelatin? I LOVE Michelle Foster's Fondant, and would ideally just use that ... please help!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

Wilton's fondant is vegan. I'm sure you know it has a bad reputation for the way it tastes, but it would be the easiest way to get vegetarian fondant.

I'm not sure about kosher marshmallows...think those can still have animal products in them as long as the animals were slaughtered under the supervision of a rabbi.

emiyeric Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 5

Ugh! I would hate to have to go that route! I know there's also such a thing as vegan marshmallows, I'm just not sure how accessible they are ... if more specialized shops would carry them, or something along the lines of Whole Foods. Any ideas?

malishka Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5

Kosher marshmellows are not made from ANY animal products. That's why they are kosher. Although I have never tried making fondant out of them. Wilton fondant is Kosher, but nasty tasting.
I use Satin Ice. This fondant is kosher/parve. if there is a letter "U" in a circle and a letter "P" next to it, that means it is kosher/parve. Parve means that there are no meat derivetives used in the product.
All of my cakes follow this dietary law. It's not so bad, just look for the "U"

emiyeric Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 5

Perfect! That absolutely solves my problems! Thanks so much, guys, I can always count on CC! icon_smile.gif This is a special birthday cake I want to make for a former teacher, now friend, as her little girl is having a birthday, but I'd forgotten about all dietary stuff beforehand .... thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%