Do You Make Sugar Shack Buttercream Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By Kookie Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm by mgwebb68

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am planing to use Sugarshack's buttercream recipe ( crisco not hi-ratio) and When you need lots of buttercream for wedding,
do you make ahead of time? I am worried if I make a head of time,
I need to stir or beat the BC before frost the cake, right? Is that cause making air in to the BC?
Thanks.

7 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 8

I make the buttercream (all high ratio) before hand. It stores very nicely in an airtight container. Some people have commented that they find the longer it sits, the more bubbles it gets, but you can stir it to get the bubbles out.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 8

I've only made two batches of this BC. First, a disclosure: I thought I was using the recommended brand of high-ratio shortening, which is Sweetex. However, I later learned that what I thought was repackaged Sweetex may not have been. I'm not sure. The author of that recipe swears by the Sweetex brand, saying she's had less success with other brands.

Having disclosed that, on my first batch, it was gloriously creamy and smooth right after making, but the next day it was a pock-marked mess. Rebeating made it worse. The second batch remained bubble-free for a couple of days, then it became pocked, but not as badly as the first.

I now have real Sweetex in the house, but haven't had the time or need for a batch. I'm hoping it will work better and that as the author of the recipe claims I will have air-free icing for days.

So, my advice at this point is to make it just before you need it. Or experiment with a batch to see how it will work for you.

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 8

I am by no means a buttercream expert!LOL! But I too use Sharon's buttercream recipe (LOVE IT).

I do get air bubbles in my buttercream after it has thawed. I try to minimize that by stirring as little as possible and using it before it gets completely room temp. I also tend to use the frozen buttercream more for filling or as a crumb coat and make a fresh batch for the final coat.

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 8

dos anybody have a recipe for da sugarshack buttercream? thax

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 8

I only use Sharon's buttercream. I don't use Hi-Ratio, I use store brand with trans-fat and get great results. I love it. I make it up to a week ahead if I find the time. I've also stored the leftovers for several weeks and it was just as nice later. I've never had any problems with air bubbles when I mix it Sharon's way.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

mgwebb68, what size is your mixer bowl? I'm beginning to wonder if the problems are just with the 6 qt? It'a about as wide as it is deep, unlike the other sizes, which are deeper than wide. It may have nothing to do with it, but I'm just groping for the reason why some have success and some don't. I am absolutely certain I've followed her instructions to the letter, as I'm rather rule-governed and by-the-book!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 8

grandmom - I have a 4.5 quart, which as you pointed out is deep and not very wide. I took the original recipe and figured out how to adjust it to fit in my mixer. Also, since I just do this for fun I don't use hi-ratio, but I have good success with store brand with trans-fat so I just stick with that. My frosting fluffs up over the beater blade and fills the bowl of my mixer just like in Sharon's DVD and youtube video, so I don't get any air mixed in at all. When I'm done my mixer bowl is full to the top, I don't think I could fit another spoon of sugar in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%