Ever Feel This Tired? Just Runting...

Business By Solecito Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm by Solecito

Solecito Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 15

Lately I've been feeling so tired... of dealing with customers. I love to bake and decorate, but since I do everything: Bake, decorate, clean, deliver, answer the phone, buy, etc. plus taking care of my family, I feel so down and I just want to leave....
I guess I need to re-organize, but mean while everything seems so hard to do. Have you ever felt like this? What did you do?

I guess I'm just having a though year.....

14 replies
Williamus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know if this is going to make you feel any better...but here goes. I don't bake as my primary source of income. I bake on the side, for family, friends, and friends of friends...all word of mouth...and I don't do a large volume. (just a couple of cakes a month). But the way you are feeling is exactly how I feel about my regular profession and work schedule. I am sooooo close to scraping it all and trying to go into baking full time...so I read your post and all I can think is: "Wow, that's a lucky person who gets to bake for a living". For me the baking is relaxation time. And even when I was up all night (literally) to get two birthday cakes done for the same morning (there is a posting about it somewhere on this website) I was thrilled and happy to do it.

OK...I know...not helpful! (But I just thought I'd give it a try).

megmarie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 15

Reward yourself for working so hard - take a day for yourself - pedicure, get a wash/blow dry at the hair dresser and force your significant other to take you out!

That's what I do when I have a rough few weeks at work!

Solecito Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you guys.
Williamus: it's not the baking, it's the other stuff that gets me down. When I'm bored I bake for my family, but the customers, the delivery, the other stuff is starting to affect me.
Megmarie: I guess asking my hubby for a date is a good idea, we haven't had time to spend together, even on our anniversary.

tracycakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 15

I haven't had difficult customers...yet....but I hate my dayjob so much that I would welcome those pita customers - well, sorta. As a government contractor, we have no sayso in anything and no power. Our customers are our competitors when these contracts come out for bid so it's very cutthroat. I'm so sick of the rudeness, the cattiness and lack of professionalism. Dealing with them has taught me patience enough that I think I'll be a more able to deal with Joe Blow off the street. Just having the power to say 'no' means so much.

Motta Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 15

I don't have a business yet but I've been reading The E-Myth as recommended by leah_s and others and it's very enlightening. You sound to me like you might benefit from it. I would give you a short recap but I'm not through the book yet.

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 15

When you turn a hobby into a business it can lose some of the luster. I look at florists and think how much fun it would be to arrange flowers, but they tell me nooooooo it isn't. Same with cakes.

I was a psychology major, and one of the studies I remember from this area was that when they paid a group of people to do puzzles, they reported them as being a lot less fun than a group of people who did them without any compensation. As soon as you attach a money cost to something and make it "work" the perceived fun value of it drops. It's natural to get tired of your job sometimes, regardless of what it is.

ccr03 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 15

costumeczar is so right! I cakes I love doing the most are the ones that I have complete and total creative freedom - the free ones! icon_smile.gif

It does get harder though. This year as I've tried to expand the business, I've also had to deal with other personal issues and it's been exhausting. But take some down time to reenergize- it really helpd.

Solecito Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I don't have a business yet but I've been reading The E-Myth as recommended by leah_s and others and it's very enlightening. You sound to me like you might benefit from it. I would give you a short recap but I'm not through the book yet.

E-Myth????

sheshe09 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 15

I feel you I'm in the same boat as you. I love the creative part of the cakes but I really don't like dealing with the delivery part. It makes my heart beat so fast hoping nothing happens in the route. And, I had a customer from hell last week. She dropped her cake and I was nice to redo the cake. (no fee) Only, because I didn't have her sign a contract so I did what I had to do. But, she thought my friend it was my fault. When she got the cake it was fine and she was driving crazy trying to make a appointment. So, I feel what you are saying

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshe09

I feel you I'm in the same boat as you. I love the creative part of the cakes but I really don't like dealing with the delivery part. It makes my heart beat so fast hoping nothing happens in the route. And, I had a customer from hell last week. She dropped her cake and I was nice to redo the cake. (no fee) Only, because I didn't have her sign a contract so I did what I had to do. But, she thought my friend it was my fault. When she got the cake it was fine and she was driving crazy trying to make a appointment. So, I feel what you are saying

WHAAAAAAT? You are WAY too nice! That kind of thing will burn you out faster than anything! Contract or not, when you drop something after you've picked it up, it's not the fault of the person who sold it to you!

"Hello, Grocery Store? I just bought a gallon of milk and some eggs, and I dropped the bag when I was getting out of my car. I want you to give me more for free. Also, do you know the number of Macy's? I spilled a bottle of perfume I bought there, so I want them to give me some more too."

sheshe09 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 15

I know your right my Dude told me the same thing. I know am going to run across those kind of people but I have to learn to deal with them.

Lenette Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 15

Wow, I thought it was just me!

I have been feeling the exact same way for the last week or two. I don't know what's wrong, I can't explain it and I can't shake it.

I don't want to do anything but of course I have to fulfill the obligations I have. I don't know anything to help since I don't know what to do for myself but I want you to know you are not alone in this.

Hopefully, we will both get over it soon! icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 15

I'm sorry you feel that way...baking is my hobby and I totaly love it. However, I know very well that if baking was my full time job I would NOT enjoy it as much. Is a totally different feel when you know you HAVE to do something as to just WANT to do it....
So far, I've never had an unhappy 'customer' but who would complain on a free cake??!! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all your input, it's so much easier knowing I'm not alone. This week seems better, at least no so many hard customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%