Transporting Cakes On Pedestals -- Can It Be Done?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 10:50am by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

In an attempt to go green by cutting down on using cardboard cake rounds covered with paper, I bought a bunch of beautiful cake pedestals really, really cheap yesterday! (One was $3!!!)

I have 6 cakes to do soon for a meeting at church and planned to use these. Today, it occurred to me that I'm going to face a problem trying to drive with 6 cakes on glass pedestals!!!

Any suggestions????

7 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 8

You could go buy large pieces of styrofoam and cut out the hole for the stand then transport that way not very green though I think I would uses a cake board for transpost and then place on the stand after you deliver.

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

Transporting a cake on a glass cake stand? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 8

anything top heavy will tip super easily

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 8

I would think you could transport it in box that would support the sides of the pedistal and hold it secure. It would need to be a heavy box, you could figure a way I think to keep it from tipping.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 8

Hello there!
I just delivered an anniversary cake on a glass pedestal cake plate. However the size of the cake was : 4.5", 6" and 7.5" stacked. I cut a hole in the lid (slightly larger than the bottom plate of the pedstal) of a plastic storage box, not the real tall ones. I used the non-skid shelf liner around the hole and inside the storage box. Slide the bottom plate through the hole and delivered it 16 miles away from my home. Nothing moved. I did travel with my emergency kit, just in case. Should you use a tall storage container, put something in it to weigh it down, best not to use them.
A matter of fact I have deliver larger cakes like this come to think of it!(LOL)HTH
Hammy

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:50am
post #7 of 8

I've done it twice with glass pedestals and once with a pedestal stand I made. I put books underneath the top plate, that way it doesn't tip.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:50am
post #8 of 8

Thanks, all, for the responses! I'm going to start trying out different boxes, etc., and I like the heavy book idea. Wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%