Cookie Icing Question, Help Please.

Baking By georgiapuddinpie Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:46am by georgiapuddinpie

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 17

Hi
Okay, so a lady called me today and wants me to decorate teapot sugar cookies for a shower. I told her I have never done this before, but she insists (you would have to know her). Anyway, we agreed that she would make the cookies and I would decorate. She doesn't want the hard royal icing on top, says it messes up lipstick (again you would have to know her). She specifically suggested just using confectioners sugar mix with water. My question is will this work and will different colors bleed together? Is there a "soft icing" to use on cookies which wont get damaged easily? I am very nervous about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TIA

16 replies
cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 17

You should use Toba's glace. It hardens enough to stack but is soft inside when you bite it.

My question is mostly about how crazy she gets when eating cookies that it messes up her lipstick.... ?

PS and water MIGHT work but it would be super soft and powdery when it was done, and probably runs the risk of bleeding a lot more.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 17

I agree - use Toba's. It's the only one I use. On occasion I'll use royal icing for tiny decorations or scrolls.

georgiapuddinpie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 17

Thank you so much for your replies! I was wondering, do you use Toba's the same way you use royal to decorate the cookie? Basically I was planning to use the tutorial on here to try to do them.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 17

I just outline and then fill in. By the time I'm done with one color, it's set up enough to do another color - otherwise, they'll bleed. Then once I'm done with all the base colors I'll mix up some royal and do the small details with that. Depending on how fast they dry, sometimes they have to sit overnight before you stack them. I've never had a problem with Toba's recipe.

cinderspritzer Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 17

The bigger the cookie, the long it will have to dry. This applies to any RI-iced cookies. To make Toba's thicker for details or outlining, just add a little PS at a time. Too much, and it will get too thick to squeeze through a tip.

georgiapuddinpie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 17

Thank ya'll so much for the help! It is greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 17

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm Try this, Rylan posted this site and the first video explains how to decorate with fondant. You can tell your friend that it will not effect her lipstick icon_rolleyes.gif haha! It is easy and looks awsome...Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 17

yeah, fondant never occurred to me. i guess i'm an icing puritan. lol!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapuddinpie

She doesn't want the hard royal icing on top, says it messes up lipstick (again you would have to know her).

Tell her to eat the cookies NOT kiss the darn things. LOLOLOLc icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

georgiapuddinpie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #11 of 17

lol! Would love to see the look on her face if I told her that. Very type A personality.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #12 of 17

I don't know about you folks, but I eat my cookies with my teeth, not my lips! lol

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #13 of 17

Wow correct me if I am wrong here but...isn't royal icing the same as confectioners sugar with water minus flavoring, coloring and meringue powder?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 17

If you are comfortable with RI and don't want to try something new, I suggest you use Antonia74's royal icing (in the recipe section) - it's wonderful! It dries hard enough to stack, but stays somewhat soft on top of the cookie and isn't hard enough to do any damage.

georgiapuddinpie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #15 of 17

Need to bother ya'll with one more thing in this thread. How much should I charge for 50 decorated cookies? Mind you, she made them, I just decorated.
TIA

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #16 of 17

I guess it depends on how big they are, how many colors you use and how detailed you get. I usually charge about $1 an inch for decorated cookies, she's doing the easy part so maybe deduct 25cents per cookie.

georgiapuddinpie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:46am
post #17 of 17

I used about 6 different colors and made the design on each teapot different. They were regular size cookies? I guess. Then she made extra 50 and had me do them as favors at last minute. Made them all the same teal w/white top and handle and Monogram initials. How much for all of it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%