What Kind Of Icing Do U Use?

Baking By DropofLove Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm by anjaligg

DropofLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DropofLove Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 12

I'm trying to find a yummy not too sweet buttercream that doesn't leave a filmy feeling on the top of your mouth. I made the Buttercream Dream recipe found on here, while good it is still a little sweet. After just a few tastes I have the "feeling" on the roof of my mouth.
Anywho any tried and true buttercream recipes out there...that aren't too sweet?

11 replies
flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 12

I have learned to use only Hi-Ratio in my frosting instead of the Crisco types. It cuts down on the grit and slime feeling, and really does improve the taste. Sugarshack has a great recipe that I now use all the time, it tastes great and it great to work with.

arabhorseqn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arabhorseqn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 12

I am going to school to be a pastry chef and we made both a italian and french buttercream and i feel the italian isn't too sweet but the french is. the reason for the bad mouth feel is because of the shortening. we use all butter and it is much better. i'm attaching the recipe. hope you like it let me know even if you don't icon_biggrin.gif

Italian Buttercream

Italian meringue
Sugar 8oz
Water 2oz
Egg whites 4oz
Butter, soft 12oz
Emulsified shortening (or additional butter) 2oz
Lemon juice ½ tsp
Vanilla extract ¾ tsp

Procedure
1.  Make the meringue (procedure on p. 267). Whip until completely cool.
2.  Little by little, add the soft butter and continue to whip. Add each piece after the pervious one has been incorporated. In the same way, whip in the butter or shortening, if using.
3.  When all the fat has been incorporated, whip in the lemon juice and vanilla.
4.  Continue to whip until the buttercream is smooth.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 12

Swiss Meringue Butter Cream...when it's too hot, Sugarshack recipe with the required hi ratio shortening. icon_smile.gif

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 12

I also vote for Sugarshacks buttercream. I make her 5qt mixer recipe and it lasts me through a few cakes. I love thats its not too sweet and so smooth -- yum!

DropofLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DropofLove Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 12

would you mind sharing that recipe with me?
Thank you

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 12

Sugarshacks!

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 12

What's HIGH-RATIO shortening and where does one find it?

CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 12

many people on here buy a brand called sweetex, you may be able to just google for it. i actually buy it from a cake shop

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 12

Italian meringue buttercream is the way to go:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup egg whites
6 sticks of unsalted butter - room temp
1 tsp of vanilla or more to taste

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan with a lid and bring to a gentle boil. Put a lid on it, once it comes to a boil, set the timer for 7 mins and reduce heat slightly. In the meantime, whip egg whites to stiff peaks using an electric mixer. Once sugar is done boiling, remove from heat, let the bubbling subside and with mixer on high speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into egg white mixture. Let the mixture run oh high til the bowl is cool to the touch, about 10 mins. Then add the butter in small chunks and mix until its all incorporated.. finally add vanilla to taste.
In the midst of making the buttercream it may look curdled, continue beating on high speed til it comes together. If it's too soupy, put it in the frdige for 15 or 20 minutes and then rewhip. One final note, if you add the sugar syrup too quick, you will end up with scrambled egg buttercream... gross!

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 12

Can you make a whole bunch and then freeze it for later use?

Thanks,
Anjali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%