Adding Luster Dust To Fondant?

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm by brincess_b

angiev77 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever kneaded luster dust into fondant rather than dusting or painting it on? I want a glittery effect to my fondant without the look of dust or paint. If you have ever seen the kids playdoh with glitter in it-that is what I am going for.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

It just blends in and is a waste of your dust.

Bluehue Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 5

Yes angiev77, i have - i kneaded gold LD into a very pale lemon regalice/fondant.
I gently kneeded little bits at a time - then rolled it out and cut to top my cupcakes.
Gave a nice speckled shimmer look.
I was chuffed with the end result. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

angiev77 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

I am going to use this fondant to make figures, not to cover the whole cake so it will be very small amounts of LD. Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have any other suggestions for making the figures glittery? I don't like to paint the luster on figures with vodka or vanilla because it never seems like the liquid ever goes away, you can always see that you painted it. If I just dust them then it usually gets all over the place, not just on the figures even if I use a small paint brush.

brincess_b Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 5

mixing in lustre dust hasnt worked for most people. maybe depends which one you use? petal dust has worked, but thats just for the colour.

im afraid theres not really any other way to do it, in terms of brushing it on or painting it. maybe you need a higher alcohol content, or a different consistancy of paint.

maybe an edible glitter rather than lustre dust would be better, i dont know if its less floaty?
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%