Need Your Input For A Cake

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 9

I think my creativity is stifled under all the cold medicine I took this week! icon_surprised.gif I have a cake for Saturday and really need your creative input. It's for a block party we are having for our neighbors who are moving to Florida. It's a surprise party, so I'm not able to ask for details of what they would want. All I know is there is some kind of inside joke about a palm tree so that has to be a part of the design.

This is a great opportunity for me to show my neighbors what I can do - so I want to do the cake in buttercream with some fondant accents. I was thinking some chocolate shell molds too. That way they can get a "taste" for those things I work with. I've never done fondant flowers but would love to use those on a cake too - is there a simple version of those? Sorry I'm rambling, I'm wanting to have enough time to get it done but since the party is at my house - I have all the cleaning and prep to do for the party too in addition to the cake. Any ideas or suggestions would be soo, soo, helpful icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 9

I made a moving box cake with butter cream and made lables and stickers of all kinds out of fondant but they could be made from chocolate or chocolate paste too. I included some funny personal stuff from our group of friends. They loved it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1251100

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

Well, there's always the good design of a beach cake (which could include your palm tree) and you could use your chocolate shells for on the beach...
Or you could do a variety of things that florida is known for (something disney, oranges, miami, um... gators, i don't know what else)

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 9

Sadsmile, I love your cake! It's so unique, it's perfect!

Writecakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 9

Sadsmile: You're going away cake is awesome - and completely out of my current skill level - I love your fondant accents, they look great! I bet they loved the cake!

I'm thinking beach theme would work. Any ideas on how to make simple palm trees? What flowers would look good with a beach theme? Or would they? I can't think straight today!

sadsmile Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 9

??? It's just a basic sheet cake with an extra layer on top(extra sevings!!!), covered in brown buttercream, viva'd smooth with some fondant accents. I use Wilton's 101 cookie cutters for some of the shapes and just used a brush with food coloring gel to paint(pretty sloppily)the designs on then just popped them on to the butter cream. My skill set was pretty basic when I did that cake there's not much to it but it looks more then it is. I bet you could do it! thumbs_up.gif

Writecakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

Do I use just plain food coloring to paint the fondant accents?
Thanks so much for all of your input icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 9

The Wilton icing colors or Americolor gel colors. I used them straight on with a brush like water colors. thumbs_up.gif

Writecakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%