Cake Fell Apart, What Do I Tell Customer?

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm by MissyTex

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 5

The niece of one of my coworkers ordered a bucket of beer cake for a party tonight. The cake and I have been fighting for 2 days. Cake finally won. It was 3 layers of cake carved to taper like a bucket. I wonât get into all the gory details, but the whole thing has shifted and the top layer has broken and fallen off in several pieces. It is not salvageable.

I am going to call her and tell her I have no cake. She has not given me any money so there is no money to return. But I feel so bad. What should I do? I work full time. I donât have time to do anything else for her. The only thing I can do is apologize profusely and give her the numbers of a couple of local bakeries. Any advice? Thanks.

4 replies
Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry to hear about that- I am always afraid of this senario. I am not sure but maybe you could by some unfrosted cakes at a local bakery and then carve and frost yourself? Sorry I don't have much else - good luck w/ your decision.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 5

You could try again with plain rounds - don't bother tapering the bucket. That should be quick to do.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 5

Oh no!!! Did this happen before you added the bottles?

I know you worked very hard on the cake board, but what if you remove the top layer and finish the bucket. Then, pipe some really tall grass around it to give the illusion that 'the rest of it' is in deep grass?

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I called her and she is cool with it, was very understanding. The cake is ruined, icing is falling off, it's already been airbrushed silver over white BC and touching it will smear it and make it worse. I don't have time to fix it or make anything else. I am working late to day and her party is tonight. It was a combination of bad luck and poor design on my part. Nothing went right with this cake, it was doomed from the start. I'm going to post a pic in the Disasters forum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%