How Far In Advance2 Make Fondant Cake & What Recipe Is B

Decorating By LilaUK Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 8:27am by Bluehue

LilaUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaUK Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 2

Hi ladies

Im new to the forum and I am trying to make a 3 tier cake for my son's 1st birthday. Its a Halloween theme and I had orginally planned on buying fondant covered cakes and just doing a lil decor on them. I found out the lady I was going to use has some really bad reviews and now I want to avoid the headahe of paying for an awful cake and do it myself.

SO, long story short, how far in advance can I make 3 tiers of cake, and how do I store them?? Should I cover them in fondant first before freezing them? Should I ice them then freeze them(I've done this before and its worked well)??

Also once covered in fondant what is the best way to store? Can i freeze it? And what is the ebst type of cake and filling that will surive freezing?

I know thats a lot of questions. I appreciate any advice from you masters !!
Thank you

I have done a few cakes before but I didnt have 2 kids at my feet icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:27am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaUK

Hi ladies

Hi LilaUK - and welcome to CC.

Im new to the forum and I am trying to make a 3 tier cake for my son's 1st birthday. Its a Halloween theme and I had orginally planned on buying fondant covered cakes and just doing a lil decor on them. I found out the lady I was going to use has some really bad reviews and now I want to avoid the headahe of paying for an awful cake and do it myself.
Don't blame you -

SO, long story short, how far in advance can I make 3 tiers of cake, and how do I store them??
You can make them well in advance and freeze them - unless you are making a tier of fruit cake then you just have to wrap it well and keep in your pantry - for up to 3 Months.

Should I cover them in fondant first before freezing them? Should I ice them then freeze them(I've done this before and its worked well)??
If you have done it before and it worked - then fine - but i wait until my cakes are cold from the oven - wrap in bake paper - then two layers of cling wrap and freeze that way.
I never torte, fill or cover any cake then freeze - just the *naked* cake from the oven.

Also once covered in fondant what is the best way to store? Can i freeze it? And what is the ebst type of cake and filling that will surive freezing?
Unless the filling is perishable - then you don't have to refridgerate the cakes.
How about bake your cakes -
Torte in half when nearly cold -
Wrap as above and pop into freezer.
Then night before you want to fill and decorate - get them out of the freezer - sit on kitchen bench - STILL WRAPPED - and they will thaw nicely for you.
Ready to use in the morning.
Once covered in Fondant - they will be fine sitting on your bench for a day or two - (as long as no perishable fillings)

I freeze most cakes - chocolate mud - fruit - sponge - vanilla cake - etc.
Never filled tho.

I know thats a lot of questions. I appreciate any advice from you masters !!
Thank you
Your welcome - we all asked questions - thats how we learn - icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
I have done a few cakes before but I didnt have 2 kids at my feet icon_smile.gif
Hmmm, makes it difficult at times doesn't it? icon_cry.gificon_wink.gif

What kind of cake batters are you thinking of making?
And what type of fillings where you thinking of using?

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%