Do You Refrigerate Your Cakes?

Decorating By buggus Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:18am by prterrell

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 12

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have limited fridge space at the moment, and generally I don't refrigerate my cakes for long, but like to do it to make them nice and cold for icing, and to also keep regular buttercream from melting.

I have a wedding cake due on Friday, and it looks like I may not be able to refrigerate the cake at all, and am going to be leaving it out at room temp. The cake has a buttercream icing, but it's the crusting type. Do you think it'll be okay??

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 12

I use a crusting BC and I never refrigerate my cakes.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:06am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use a crusting BC and I never refrigerate my cakes.

agree, I never refrigerate unless it is cream cheese frosting

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 12

Thanks guys. I would think that refrigerating would dry the cake out right? I need to know your honest opinion. As I was also told this information by a professional...and am now wondering if any of the advice I was given was even correct icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 12

According to this link on allfoodbusiness.com (found via www.ask.com), storing a cake at room temp is best.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=does+refrigerating+a+cake+dry+it+out%3F&page=2&qsrc=0&ab=3&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allfoodbusiness.com%2FStoring_And_Freezing_Cakes.php

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 12

I always refrigerate my cake with no problems.

As long as you are not using perishable fillings and it isn't 100 degrees then you are fine on the counter.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 12

I never refrigerate my cakes either. (nor do I freeze them)

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 12

I freeze after baking, crumb coat while they are still cold. Frost at room temp and keep them at room temp.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 12

if it is covered or iced, beingin the fridge isn't going to dry it out. the fridge isn't bad, in and of itself. keep in mind health codes in many areas require cakes with butter or other perishable ingredients to be kept cold. but yeah - I also wouldn't worry leaving it out for a couple of days.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #10 of 12

As long as nothing in your ingredients require refrigeration, you should be fine. I rarely refrigerate.

Jen icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #11 of 12

All of the above is of course totally true and I've worked for places that either frige it all or frige nothing. I personally frige everything, plus I freeze my assembled cakes before final icing.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #12 of 12

I only refrigerate cakes with perishable fillings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%