Question About Cookie Icing.

Baking By Johnnie53 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm by bonniebakes

Johnnie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnnie53 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 8

I posted the other day and received great advice. I have decided to make crayon cookies for my grandaughters class, since their spelling words are the different colors. I am going to use NFSC recipe for the cookies. What icing should I use? I did find the sugar cookie icing on your site. I would like to make them this weekend. Thanks Johnnie

7 replies
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

I always use Royal Icing for sugar cookies. I use it thicker to edge the cookie and then thin it out to flood. It dries hard so it's great for packaging, stacking, handling the cookies. HTH!

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 8

I had the same question. Thanks, still_learning! icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 8

Depending on how much time you have, you have 2 great options.

If you need them to dry fairly quickly, you can use Antonia74's Royal Icing:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1983/antonia74-royal-icing

Just be sure to add a couple tsp clear vanilla or almond extract to give them a little flavor. A tsp or two of lemon juice to take away the bitterness of the egg whites, and a small amount of light corn syrup if you want them shiny.

If you want them to have a sweeter consistency and a softer coat, you can use Toba's Glace, but you need more time for it to set up and cookies still can get dented if you jostle them around too much. Also, if using Toba's glace, you should get some Brite White food coloring, Americolor is best, and add some in to prevent the ''clouding'' some people get with this recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2119/toba-garretts-glace-icing

With any Royal Icing, you need to remember that the icing gets more brittle as it sets, and the colors can fade if you leave them in direct sunlight.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 8

I forgot to add that you can thicken Toba's glace for outlining your cookies by adding powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 8

All the cookies shown in my photos were done with Toba's Glace...pretty much. I, play with the consistency of the icing until it is similar to white school glue, and I always add about 5 drops of Americolor's brite white for every cup of powdered sugar that I use. Once all the cookies are decorated, I mix together the leftover colors of icing to use for my outlining. I add black to the icing, and enough powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter. I use a #1s tip for all my outlining. It's a versatile, tasty, and easy icing to use.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #7 of 8

I've made cookies only 2 times and I've use NSFC and Antonia's icing, they were perfect and delicious, won't change them

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 8

I use a modified version of Antonia74's icing - it's wonderful!! ( I add a little bit of corn syrup for some added shine)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%