Quick Question (Ganache)

Decorating By sweetsound Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 4:11am by sweetsound

sweetsound Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there!

Sorry for the simple, and discussed often question, but I can't find where I read about this before.

How long is ganache good at room temperature?? I was planning to use it on a cake I'm making tonight that probably won't be eaten until Friday. I know my buttercream doesn't need refrigeration, but with the heavy cream in the ganache, I just wasn't sure.

Also, I know that my buttercream is good, because I use water. Do any of you use milk and still leave it out? Do you find that it makes a big difference in taste??

6 replies
Darthburn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #2 of 7

I don't know the answer, but I made ganache for my first time yesterday and I didn't want to take a chance so I refridgerated it. Just because of the heavy cream.

Looking forward to seeing the answer. Good luck!

JaeRodriguez Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 7

I know the buttercream is definitely ok with milk being left out, I've asked and people say it's something about the powdered sugar that makes it not go bad!

The ganache... I'm not sure how long it will last, I know cakes I have made for family we've snacked on for three-four days... BUT I'm not saying go ahead, lol here's a bump!

I'm positive there are ladies here that know the answer to your question! :]

luna_star Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #4 of 7

I read somewhere that heating the cream changes its properties and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Truffles are made from ganache and they're not refrigerated so it must be ok!

Bunsen Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #5 of 7

As long as you boil the cream when you make the ganache it will keeps for at least a 7-10 days out of the fridge - and probably much longer. Off ganache smells terrible - you will know if it's gone bad.

Darthburn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 7

One time I bought a new quart of heavy cream at the store but in the car it fell out of the bag and under the seat. Two days later I went to make some ganache and had to search for my heavy cream.
It smelled fine for the most part so I went ahead and used it because I didn't have time to go the store again. Everyone said the cake was good and no one (that I know of) was sick.
So I guess it should be just fine.

Just so we're clear... I am kidding icon_biggrin.gif haha

sweetsound Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the help everyone. It was really nice to finish the cake up, and then come back to check if you all thought it needed the fridge or not. icon_biggrin.gif

I did boil the heavy cream, so... I'm going to take the leap and leave it out! It feels so rebellious to go against my natural instinct to refrigerate icon_lol.gif

Thanks again all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%