Smoothing Buttercream Help?

Decorating By GARY Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm by angiev77

GARY Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hi...I've tried so many methods & I'm still having problems getting my icing smooth. I really like the buttercream with butter in it, but I just can't get it smooth. Does anyone have a foolproof step by step method.
I've tried Melvira method, sugar shack, & also read the post for buttercream, but I'm still having problems. thanks in advance

7 replies
JGMB Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried a Viva paper towel with a fondant smoother? Look up "Viva method" with this site's search engine.

Also, here's a wonderful youtube video posted by Edna, a superstar here at CC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&feature=PlayList&p=5D6A8670ADD2EBAA&index=1

GARY Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

I have tried the viva paper towel after waiting 30 minutes & the buttercream would still stick to the towel.

threeforhim Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 8

I live in a very humid area. I have to wait a long time before I can smooth with a paper towel. Sometimes I'll stick the cake in the freezer to speed it up a bit, smooth it and then just leave it sitting out. The icing needs to be crusted somewhat, so that it doesn't come up or stick to your hand when ou touch it. If you have the time you can just leave it sitting out, it just may take a while.

TracysCakes2009 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 8

I feel your pain, GARY! I really do! I am suffering with the same issue. I have resolved myself to believe that only practice will help! I have tried ALL the methods too. Some days are better than others! Good luck to you! Wish I had some better advice except, don't give up! I won't either!

creations08 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 8

I'm not sure this is the problem, but in my case; when I forget to use meregue powder my butter cream is very sticky. I've also tried the paint roller method, which really smoothes out any imperfections. HTHS

*I haven't read the thread on butter cream though.

tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 8

I always tell my students, takes a year for skills to be develop. Sometimes people get frustrated by the second
cake they iced. Icing is a learned skill like writing.. Keep at it, it gets easier.
Edna icon_smile.gif

angiev77 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 8

I have tried the viva method and found it not to be as easy as this....I found this suggestion here on the website but I don't remember who posted it so sorry....I went to lowe's and bought the little high density foam rollers and they are amazing! You just use long strokes after your icing has crusted and very gentle pressure and you get a perfectly smooth surface. I also use the spackling knifes from lowes too. The foam roller would only work on icing that had crusted so you would definitely need to have meringue powder in it. Who ever came up with this idea is a genious!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%