Made Mmf For The First Time..

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm by AnitaK

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 27

I love how cheap it is to make. And relatively easy, just a little messy. I am wondering about a couple of things though. I made it last week (I think Thursday maybe, or Friday) and used it yesterday for my display cakes. I made it with just marshmallows, water and powdered sugar. I melted the marshmallows and water in the microwave, then poured into a greased mixer. While in the mixer, I added just enough powdered sugar (slowly) to make it not sticky. Then I wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it out on the counter.

First, when I unwrapped it yesterday, I couldn't even knead it without microwaving it. It seemed very elastic, not doughy.
Second, I like how much easier it rolls out than Satin Ice or Wilton's, but the texture wasn't as smooth. The surface is a little pocked. Not too bad, just not completely smooth. This batch was for display cakes, so it's not a big deal. But I just need to know if I did anything wrong before I use it for a client.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

26 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #2 of 27

I think I used to under-sugar mine. It makes it real stretchy, like there is too much MM and not enough sugar.

I have a test now when I make the batch. As I knead sugar in, I take a second to hold the fondant ball up, letting it hang under it's own weight. You can see how stretchy it is. If there isn't enough PS it will start stretching fast. Towards getting to a good amount of PS it resists falling out of your hand and stretching.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't use any water either. Just shortening in super small amounts. I'll barely wipe some on the surface of the ball if it needs it.

As for rolling, you just have to make super sure there are no knicks in your pin, no clumps of sugar on the pin or under the fondant. Everything has to be really really smooth. I recently started using cornstarch instead of PS because it doesnt clump up like PS does.

Hope all that helps. icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 27

Oh I also forgot... I tried to make MMF in my KA twice now... that is a no go. It always gets stuck on the dough hook and rubs on the bowl so hard in one spot that half the fondant comes out like a rock. Think maybe that was part of the problem? I do it by hand now.

Gonna try MFF in a couple of days... wish me luck!! icon_smile.gif

HarleyDee Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:00am
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Oh I also forgot... I tried to make MMF in my KA twice now... that is a no go. It always gets stuck on the dough hook and rubs on the bowl so hard in one spot that half the fondant comes out like a rock. Think maybe that was part of the problem? I do it by hand now.

Gonna try MFF in a couple of days... wish me luck!! icon_smile.gif

That might be, I did it with my KA mixer. Maybe it is soaking up too much PS in one spot or something. I will definitely try it by hand, I just wasn't sure if my hands could take that much mixing icon_biggrin.gif

And just to add, I roll my fondant out with cornstarch too, thanks to everyone here icon_smile.gif

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 27

I make my own MMF and have been afraid to use my KA, for fear that it will ruin it! I knead mine by hand and really it doesn't take that long for it to come together. I kind of find it as a good stress reliever at times icon_biggrin.gif !!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 27

I was afraid to make it in my mixer, but really its no different than making bread dough in it, so now I use my KA to make it. I use T's recipe, never a problem. (1bag of mini marshmallows, 2tbls water, 2lbs PS) I grease the bowl i use to melt the marshmallows, and then grease the KA bowl and dough hook, no sticking. one mixed I knead it a bit on the counter then wrap in plastic wrap for an hour before I use. I sometimes flavour it too with a tsp of extract, vanilla, lemon, orange etc

I roll out on a vinyl mat with a smear of crisco on it.

cmorie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmorie86 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 27

I also knead mine by hand. I can always tell whether it's just right or needs more sugar, crisco, etc. I'd be afraid to put it in a mixer too.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 27

I usually do MMF in a big corningware baking dish. I do the whole process in the pan and don't even have dirty countertops to clean up afterwards. The biggest mess is the sugar that puffs out of the pan.

cmorie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmorie86 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I usually do MMF in a big corningware baking dish. I do the whole process in the pan and don't even have dirty countertops to clean up afterwards. The biggest mess is the sugar that puffs out of the pan.

I've never thought of that. Definitely trying that out next time. Thanks for sharing!

Darthburn Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 27

Yeah, I use a mixing bowl. I have 2 dirty items when done, the glass bowl i do the MM in and the mixing bowl. Easy cleanup agreed.... and I get the sugar puffed out too haha!!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 27

I love MMf. Make sure that you use 16 oz. of Marsh Mallows.If you can only find 10 oz bags use one whole and little more than half of a second. I use 2 Tbsp. of liguid, water and flavor, and 2 lbs. powder sugar. Kead the sugar in.... Grease a work surface (table ,counter, flat stove top) ,pour sugar on top of grease, make a well in the center, pour melted marshmallows into the well. Knead until all the sugar is kneaded in. If it doesn't accept all the sugar you didn't use enough marsmallows. Knead it until it it smooth. Coat with shortening and then put it into to a bag to rest overnight. When you use it you will need to grease your hands, knead it until smooth again. You may need to grease your hands several times. Good luck.

Darthburn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #12 of 27

That's a good point about the 10 oz and 16 oz MM. It took me a while to realize the bags I was buying were 10 oz... then I had to start adding from another bag after I discovered.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:05am
post #13 of 27

I just made MMF for the first time last week. I made mine by hand, using the recipe that calls for Marshmallow Fluff (no cooking). It really doesn't take that long, and once you start kneading, it does come together rather quickly to a nice consistency. Was a little messy, though, 'til I got the hang of it. I hope you enjoy working with it! icon_smile.gif

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #14 of 27

I have been doing everything everyone here is talking about. It is great to work with but the last few times I have made it I have gotten clumps of powdered suger. What am I doing wrong and how can I prevent this?

Darthburn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #15 of 27

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648968-.html

Try looking through this... I had the same problem just a little while ago

Darthburn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #16 of 27

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-650832-.html

This one too.... I had pretty much the best fondant day ever yesterday.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #17 of 27

I always make mine by hand (don't own a KA but I really want one).

I melt the mm with a little water and mix in about 1lb. of sifted ps in the bowl with a spoon. I also add any coloring in, if the whole batch is to be one color, in the bowl.

I then grease the table and sift some ps sugar on it then dump the contents of the bowl onto it and then sift some more ps on top of the mm mixture. At this point it isn't nearly as sticky, Start kneading and just add ps until it gets to the consistency you need it to be. I rarely use 2 lbs of ps.

I also use cornstarch when rolling it out.

This has worked very well for me so far, but I am no professional by any means.

kikifish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikifish Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #18 of 27

I just made the MMF and I LOVE IT. The taste is SOOOO much better than Wilton's and it was simple to make. As soon as the utensile and bowl are done soaking, I am going to make another batch!

I am going to try the MFF next time!

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

I was afraid to make it in my mixer, but really its no different than making bread dough in it, so now I use my KA to make it. I use T's recipe, never a problem. (1bag of mini marshmallows, 2tbls water, 2lbs PS) I grease the bowl i use to melt the marshmallows, and then grease the KA bowl and dough hook, no sticking. one mixed I knead it a bit on the counter then wrap in plastic wrap for an hour before I use. I sometimes flavour it too with a tsp of extract, vanilla, lemon, orange etc

How many ounces in your "small bag" of mini marshmallows?

AnitaK Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy1971

AnitaK Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:25pm
post #21 of 27

another question - how long is shelf life? can u refrigerate and/or freeze?

Darthburn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

Supposed to have 16 oz. but as I found out a few months ago most stores sell small bags that are 10 oz, so you need to add from another bag. The recipes I have seen call for 16 oz.

I have refridgerated mine for about a week, just microwave it a little when it comes out. I don't like eating old food myself so I don't serve it to people... a week is my limit on that.

Never froze it. Everything I have seen reccommends not freezing on a cake, so I figure don't freeze the fondant.

That's just me though. I prefer to make my MMF the day before or day of.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 27

I made mmf for the first time wednesday in my KA with no problems. There is a video on youtube that I watched and decided to try it. It turned out really good. As for shelf life I am no expert. I used mine the day I made it. I have read that it keeps for a while in the fridge wrapped in plastic then stored in a ziploc bag. I'm sure someone will come along with the right answer.

HarleyDee Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #24 of 27

I wondered if leaving it for so long on the counter affected it too..

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #25 of 27

Anita 16oz bag of mini marshmallows.

I've never froze mine or kept it in the fridge. I triple wrap in saran wrap, pop into a ziploc and its ok for weeks. I have some quite old stuff but I use that for playing with, don't think it would be ok to use on a cake now. I always make fresh batch for covering a cake and whatever is left goes into bags, if its not used within the month then into the play with tub it goes.

kikifish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikifish Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:29pm
post #26 of 27

I used a 10oz bag of regular sized marshmallows and used less powder sugar. I noticed that I did get too much powdered sugar in it the last time and it was really stiff. So I grabbed some crisco and kept kneading it in until it was soft enough that when I stretched it and pulled a clump off, it actually "stretched" and didn't just "break off".

Now I have some of those strawberry scented pink marshmallows... gonna make it with that next.

I did make it yesterday and just put some crisco on it and wrapped it up and left it on my counter. Not sure if I should put it in the fridge... all the stuff used to make it doesn't require refrigeration... I wasn't planning on using it till next week... is this recommended or bad?

AnitaK Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks Dutchy - another question about the shelf life - what about figures and flowers that you make before hand and allow them to "harden" - how long do you keep those before you decide its too long?
I've wondered, have been asked and because the shelf life of MM and the powdered sugar is a long time - why/how would it go bad?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%