Defrosting A Cake?

Decorating By sugarsugargal Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 2:49am by Rylan

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 6

when i freeze cake . .which is rarely . . however . . i wrap it in baking parchment then lots of clingfilm. . . when i remove from freezer should i unwrap it before allowing to defrost or not ? any tips ? thanks !!!!!!

5 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 6

I always crumb coat mine while they are still frozen, and then let them sit while they defrost, and the frosting crusts. Then I smooth ice.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 6

sugarsugargal,
i don't normally freeze a frosted cake, but i did work at a bakery/deli and they would freeze some but put it in a container with a plastic lid not touching the icing. My best guess would be to unwrap before thawing. Becasue as it thaws there will be a lot of mositure left and it may make it soggy and pull off some of that icing.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the last post... I don't wrap mine in parchment but do cover them tightly in saran wrap. I always unwrap mine for about 10 minutes and then go at it...

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 6

after baking, i let cool for a few minutes, not long. immediately invert it onto a wire rack, lay a large piece of plastic wrap over it, then a large piece of foil over it. I take a cake board that is larger than the diameter of the cake and flip the entire thing right side up.

I wrap the cake with the plastic wrap, then lay another piece of foil over that and roll in the sides of the foil, being careful not to squish down the cake or get too close to the cake, especially the corners of square cakes. I don't want the foil to warp the shape of the cake.

Freeze. Makes moist cakes every time

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

Let it defrost wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%