How Is This Look Achieved? (Hibiscus Cut-Out)

Decorating By babeebk Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm by newmansmom2004

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 16

hello CC...I found this beautiful hibiscus cake on the cakelava website and I'd like to try something similar for my mom's birthday cake as she LOVES hibiscus. I'm going to do a simplified one tier version and no bamboo. I just need to know how to make the hibiscus. Is there a cutter that I can use?

15 replies
Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 16

OOOOH, I love that cake. I have been wanting to try this technque also. I think it may be brushed embroidery (sp) but I cannot be sure. Ihave seen some w/ the brushed embroidery look but this looks a little different than brushed embroidery. Maybe Fondant cutouts?

I too would like to know. Sorry I am no help. Hopefully, someone will jump in soon.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 16

Maybe it's fondant cut outs with some molding with flower tools...Looks like rounded courners and the grooves/indentions done with a tool..

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 16

I was hoping someone would respond so we could really know how it's done...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 16

It may very well be the new technique with the Cricut Expressions Scarpbook machine where you cutout gumpaste..Looks very clean and smooth.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 16

I love that cake! I've had it bookmarked for quite some time. I would love to know any tips on how to make it

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 16

I'd love to know too!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:19am
post #8 of 16

It looks like cut outs that have been placed on the cake. The cut outs also appear to be applied in layers to give a 3-D look.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:27am
post #9 of 16

I agree with kiddiekakes, it really looks like they used a cricut machine, the flowers are very clean and perfect

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 16

I tried to enlarge the picture. I appears to be cut fondant and then used modeling tools to groove. Not sure what they used to cut. However, I would suggest printing the picture. Cutting out the flowers to make a pattern with card stock paper. You could resize to the dimensions you need for your cake.

babeebk Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 16

I agree that it looks like fondant cut-outs. I've been searching to find a cutter to help, but I haven't found anything. Where can I get some info on the cricut technique. I have the regular cricut for my scrapbooking. not the expression.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 16

There is a thread here on CC about the cricuit.

babeebk Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #13 of 16

thanks. I found it. I'll have to give it a whirl this weekend and see how it works.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #14 of 16

I agree with txnonnie - it's cut-outs and then modelling tools are used to enhance it. Beautiful cake.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 16

I found it! It installs as a font from scrapping table.com and then you can use it in SCAL to cut out fondant with your cricut. Its a font called hibiscus, and there are atleast 25 different kinds of hibiscus on there!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 16

I love that look on a cake so I decided I was going to figure out how to do it come he -l-l or high water. I did some googling for a stenciled hibiscus and several stencils came up. I copied them into a Word file, made several different sizes and printed them out. I have a cookie cutter kit so I can now make my own cutters based on the stencils I printed!

If you don't have the cookie cutter kit you can print the stencil on some card stock and cut it out, then use the cut outs as templates. Lay them out on your gumpaste and cut around them with an x-acto knife or pizza cutter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%