Your Thoughts On Cooking And Baking Competitions...

Lounge By homebasedbaking Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 1:35am by FlourPots

homebasedbaking Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 4

I have been watching a number of these competitive cooking and baking television programs for the few years and I often wonder whether this type of competition is good or bad. Proponents of competition insist competition builds character. No doubt it is a competitive world out there, so we all need to be prepared if we are going to operate a business and showcase our skills. Critics of competition often want competitors to feel like a winner, even when they lose, although in a number of the cooking programs, Chopped, Iron Chef, the "Cake" competitions and "Cooking" competitions the losers walk away defeated and and in some cases discouraged. The programs appear to pit one cook or one group against another, at times it is just plain cut-throat.

The competitions are designed to make participants unduly anxious, which interferes with their performance and creativity, sometime. On the flip side of the coin to eliminate competition simultaneously eliminates opportunities to learn courage, humility and grace in the face of stressful situations.

Do you think the cooking and baking competitions on television promote âhealthy competitionâ ? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 4

I "my" opinion I don't think there is such thing as healthy or unhealthy competition. It's a competition and that's how competitions are.

myslady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think television promotes the healthy side of anything. It's about drama, drama, drama, ratings and commercials.

I have watched Iron Chef and have not see anyone look exceptionally discouraged as it was over. At the same token, I have never seen anyone lose a competition like that and comment I'm glad I lost.

When a person participates in something like that, of course they want to win and a monetary gift at the end only heightens the expectation.

A check for $10,000 or more with my name on it would surely bring a smile to face. Thats not bad for one days' work.

FlourPots Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 4

I think food competition shows are fine...they're all adults who know what the premise is before agreeing to be on. They all garner attention for their businesses which is partly why they sign up in the first place.
Duff and Buddy both ended up with their own gigs because of it.

I think other competitions (vying for a man for instance) are pretty much disgusting in every way...VH-1 takes the cake, they've become skank central.
Yes, I know, those participants are also adults who know the premise, but some of the degrading competitive stuff is not known up-front.

icon_redface.gif That being said, I still watch "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" icon_redface.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%