Strawberry/rasberry Buttercream Question

Baking By brian1974 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 2:20am by catcando33

brian1974 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 7

So I made my regular BC using ednas recipie.
I decided to try to make it into a strawberry or rasberry BC.
By adding some rasberry preserve to one batch and strawberry to another.
Both taste like thier flavor but seem rather too sweet.
When adding preserves to BC should i be omitting some of the powdered sugar? or be adding salt or more milk?

6 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 7

Commercial preserves have a lot of sugar, so it'll make any buttercream too sweet. It is best to make your own strawberry or raspberry puree. It doesn't make the buttercream as sweet. You can also try simply fruit. Never tried it before, but I know it's more like a puree then regular preserves.

brian1974 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

havnt made my own puree what would i need?

also would this type of puree mean i had to refridgerate the cake?

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 7

You need 3 lbs. raspberries or 4 lbs. strawberries, 2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups water for strawberries or 1 cup water for raspberries. Bring sugar and water to boil in a big pot, place 1 layer of berries in syrup, boil 1 minute, and keep doing this with all your berries until gone. Strain the berries as you remove them, but don't get rid of the juice you strain. In between berries, skim foam off top & make sure syrup reduces to 1 1/2 cups. Put all the berries & collected syrup in pot and reduce until you have about 3 1/2 cups puree. You need to food process the raspberries and strain the seeds out before you put back in the syrup to cook down. I use frozen strawberries, cause they have a more intense flavor then the fresh strawberries I get out here in VA. I also put this puree into sterlized canning jars. Boil the jars afterwards, so you get that vacuum seal. Last forever. No as far as refrigerating, I make all my cakes with in 3 days, but I do buttercreams a couple of days in advance, so it does go back in the fridge. Keep in mind I also make IMBC and I think Edna's recipe has high-ratio shortening, so I'm not sure how long her's will last, but I'm sure it will stay fresher, longer then my buttercream. Hope that helps!

catcando33 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 7

how much of the puree do you add to the BC ?

JanH Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #6 of 7

Icing fruit would work well:

P.S. I just add extracts to the b/c to achieve any flavor I want without changing the texture or making the b/c too sweet.

catcando33 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

that sounds like a great idea icon_smile.gif ..... I didnt even know half this stuff even existed and my head is just spinning trying to pick it all up let alone try it all out icon_smile.gif
thank you very much, i think i stick with the flavorings til i get my feet wet

Quote by @%username% on %date%