Flooding With Royal Icing

Decorating By ClancyJane Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm by ClancyJane

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 4

I have a Tinkerbell themed cake to do for my neice's birthday in a few weeks and was hoping to make a Tinkerbell topper with royal icing. However, I've never done the "flooding" technique...any good tips? Can I just use a regular royal icing? Will it be sturdy enough to stand on its own without cracking/breaking? Thanks in advance for all your help!

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 4

I have made several RI plaques etc..I use Antonia74 royal icing recipe.It is medium consistency so it pipes really nice.I then thin it down to flood.By that I mean using drops of water at a time.It should be like a thick slurry.If you can mix it and then drop a bit back into itself and it disappears after 10 seconds then it is good to go.I let mine dry at least 2 weeks in a cool ,dark place like the basement but it depends on your climate.I then use a bent flat palette knife and slide it underneath the RI plaque to release it.Careful not to pull up on it or it will break.Just slide.I have never had one break yet!!Oh..Use tip 2 or 3 and fill a piping bag with the flooded icing...gently fill in all the area without over flowing.It will naturally fill itself in and float it smooth.HTH

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 4

Sure it would be strong. Also, depends on how big the topper would be. I used the flooding RI w/ monkey's on a cup cake. See my photo's. Maybe for a stronger version cut out a piece of Fondant and then use the flooded RI? This would def. be stronger??? Just a thought??

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%