Square Vs Round

Decorating By flowermom Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm by flowermom

flowermom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

I just had a request for a cake...ok, I don't charge, I am not "legal", but I do have a chart and explain choices, etc. For this particular cake I was asked to do a costco size cake, Uh, no I don't do that, it' not listed in my serving list. So I explain...then I get this response. Then can you make it a square cake with two layers, because I need to feed a 100 people and I don't think the round is enough? Huh????, did you not look at the chart I gave you, it doesn't matter what shape the cake is. But how do I explain that to her?

I normally always do a two layer cake, but does she want two tiers? Or just a big cake, then maybe costco would be a better choice for her?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Sandi

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 8

Well, I'll just address the serving size question. Not sure why you put all the other stuff, cause after 142 posts on this site, you gotta know it's going to start a firestorm, but alas....

So, a 16" round cake will give you 100 servings, and a 14" square cake will give you 98. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

What is a 'costco' size cake?

Not sure what serving chart you were using, but yes, there is a serving difference on round vs. square. A 10" round serves 38 .... a 10" square serves 50.

It's logical .... place a round 10" pan on top of a square 10" pan. See the corners of the square pan peaking out from under the round pan? That the extra cake you get with a square pan.

If she needs to feed 100 people, a 2-layer 12x18 will serve 108. A 2-layer 14" square will serve 98. A single layer 18x24 (two 12x18's laid side by side) will serve 108.

flowermom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 8

First, sorry that I even posted. I am NOT here to cause any drama or any kind of firestorm!

Ok, the shapes are different I understand that as you explained, thanks you for the clarification. My problem is I don't have any pans that large, so there isn't anyway I can make one cake to feed 100 people. Either it's a stacked cake and an extra cake to make 100 servings or it's go to Costco (which is a warehouse store similar to Sam's Club). I tried to make that clear to her, she can't ask for something I can't do, it's just that I was frustrated after talking to her 3 times and she still keeps asking for something I can't do.

Now if you are wondering why don't you just go out and purchase a large sheet pan, I am not. I am not getting paid for this cake and those size pans are quite expensive. In the past if someone wanted a size or shape, they would offer to purchase it, in one case they person gave me the pans as a payment towards the cake. It's only a hobby and I really don't have lots of $$$ when it comes to cakes.

My apologizes for being so feisty, I never meant for that to be, I was just trying to express my frustration and get a little advice. I apparently didn't do in the best way. You might take note that the majority of my posts ARE NOT filled with drama, just questions, compliments and occasionally some advice.

So please if you don't have a kind word to put in here, return to the forum and move on.

Sandi

__Jamie__ Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermom

First, sorry that I even posted. I am NOT here to cause any drama or any kind of firestorm!

Yep, most people usually don't. It was just strange that you offhandedly mention it. It really didn't have anything to do with your question.

Quote:

Ok, the shapes are different I understand that as you explained, thanks you for the clarification. My problem is I don't have any pans that large, so there isn't anyway I can make one cake to feed 100 people.

That's understandable. You didn't mention that it in your original post, so we didn't know not to give you info that apparently wasn't helpful.[/quote]

Quote:

My apologizes for being so feisty, I never meant for that to be, I was just trying to express my frustration and get a little advice.

No worries. And you got some advice. There are lots of people in here who will jump in about legalities, and I'm surprised someone hasn't done it already...again, referring to what you yourself said.

Quote:

You might take note that the majority of my posts ARE NOT filled with drama, just questions, compliments and occasionally some advice.

I donât make it a habit to feel someone out before replying.

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 8

If you have a 9x13, you can bake four of those. Two on the bottom will create the (approx) 12x18, then two on the top will give you the 2-layer 12x18. It will take you longer to bake if you just have one pan, but even without a large pan, it's doable.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

My guess is that she wants a square cake, because it is closer to the sheet cake shape and she is probably thinking how much easier the square cake is to cut. You can cut little squares, where as the average non cake making person sees a round cake, and thinks you have to cut it in wedges. I can totally see why a 'wedge' cutter would think the square cake would serve way more people. icon_smile.gif

flowermom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the advice. I am sitting down with her this week and see what some other options. Happy Baking! Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%