Crock Pot?

Sugar Work By jlfreedman Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm by jlfreedman

jlfreedman Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone used a crock pot to melt chocolate for dipping?

2 replies
backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 3

I have. I actually purchased 2 of the smaller sized crocks from walmart for this. It does work just be careful that it isn't too hot or your choc will burn. I only use them though for when I am dipping truffles and things that do not require tempered choc because the temp is not well controlled. You can place your choc in the crock the night before or morning on low heat and it will melt it and hold it melted for you. Crocks are certainly not a replacement for tempering or choc melting machines though. Also a choc crock needs only be used for choc because of impurities and stuff that other mediums could contain may cause problems. Might I add though that crocks are also wonderful for caramel apples especially if dipped to order like at a kids school carnival. It holds the caramel at just the right temp for this. Sorry I'm getting excited that the fall is here! icon_razz.gif

jlfreedman Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info! I just need it to teach a chocolate workshop for Girl Scout leaders so I think it'll work just fine. We're out at camp so a microwave is not available.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%