Writing

Decorating By abyrd Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm by chefjulie

abyrd Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 16

Looking for tips/techniques for writing with buttercream. I am making a birthday cake for a friend's 40th this weekend. Want to write "Forty and Fabulous" in cursive. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

15 replies
Echooo3 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 16

Boy I sure would like to know also. Anytime someone wants me to write something on the cake I cringe. I am soooooo bad at it.

abyrd Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 16

I wonder if the consistency of the icing has anything to do with it. And just like anything I am sure it takes practice, practice, practice.

MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 16

abyrd and Echooo3,
I have terrible hand writing and hate to write in cursive. There are some press sets out there. Wilton makes some but not sure if the letters are interchangeable, it may just be set words. One thing I do if I have to draw a design is to use a toothpick and draw the design on the cake before I put anything else on so if you mess up you can smooth it out. You can also take a piece of wax paper and use a sharpie and write the words exactly the size you want them, then put in on a cutting board and take a razor knife and cut a single line through the writing, then transfer to the cake, donât press down though and take a toothpick and run it down the same line you cut with the razor.
Goodluck
Mrcake01

MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 16

Consistency does have a lot to do with it. You want your icing a little thin but not watery. And yes pratice makes perfect.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

BakedbyLisa Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 16

I use tip #3 or #5 when I write on cakes. It's all about being steady and don't touch the tip to the cake. I like to pull away some and that gives it a cleaner look. Good luck.

ddaigle Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 16

I use a #3 tip....I always stand...and move your entire arm. Don't write like you would with a pen....and find a pretty "F" for your needs. A pretty first letter always helps.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 16

Another way to do it is to go into your work processing program, write out the words in the font and size you like, print it out, and then hold it against the cake and make little pin pricks to use as a guide. I have to use guides for writing - my handwriting is terrible, so I definitely use some sort of guide. I don't think the Wilton press set has individual letters in cursive, only block print.

Loucinda Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 16

Use a cheap laser level to make sure the writing is straight on the cake - leaves NO marks! icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 16

Put a teaspoon of piping gel (or less) in the icing you're going to be writing with. It will flow out of the bag better.

Wilton does make lettering kits with individual letters in several formats (block, italics). It's a bit of a pain to work with, but it can be done. You slide the letters into a holder (looks like a ruler) and put a bit of tape on each end to hold them in place.

After I put them into the holder, I hold it up to the light (back to me) to make sure I've got them in correctly and everything's spelled right.

Centre and press lightly, just so you make an indent to follow. Press too hard and it's harder to cover up the marks - and you make make a mark with the letter holder.

For round cake lettering, I figure out the spacing and press them in by hand (no round holder).

Jeff_Arnett Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCake01

abyrd and Echooo3,
I have terrible hand writing and hate to write in cursive. There are some press sets out there. Wilton makes some but not sure if the letters are interchangeable, it may just be set words. One thing I do if I have to draw a design is to use a toothpick and draw the design on the cake before I put anything else on so if you mess up you can smooth it out. You can also take a piece of wax paper and use a sharpie and write the words exactly the size you want them, then put in on a cutting board and take a razor knife and cut a single line through the writing, then transfer to the cake, donât press down though and take a toothpick and run it down the same line you cut with the razor.
Goodluck
Mrcake01

Even after 30 years I still have terrible cake penmanship. What I do instead is keep a supply of gumpaste plaques made up and have my wife write the message with a food color pen on the plaque...plus it's a keepsake to boot!

chefjulie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 16

KopyKake Projector!!!!!! Worth every dime! I use it for writing on cookies and cakes!

Echooo3 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:18am
post #13 of 16

A KopyKake Projector, oh man, now another tool I need, rats.

Agbay
Sheeter
Projector
and the list goes on and on

My only other option is to just get really good at doing what used to be done years ago without the gadgets. Dream..............

Cake_Princess Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:22am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyrd

Looking for tips/techniques for writing with buttercream. I am making a birthday cake for a friend's 40th this weekend. Want to write "Forty and Fabulous" in cursive. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

I've started rolling out pieces of fondant and painting my caption on it instead. It saves me the frustration of working with buttercream.

txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 16

I have used the word processor to print the letters/words. Print on card stock, use exacto knife to cut center our and indent on cake. I have printed the words and used a toothpick to imprint on the cake. Then use the icing to go over the imprint.

Or you can use a clay gun and pipe a line of fondant and make your letters from that. You could print your words and form your string of fondant over the letters. Allow to dry just a bit and glue to cake.

You can print your words on card stock paper then cut the letters out. Lay over your rolled fondant and cut them out, place on cake.

chefjulie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

A KopyKake Projector, oh man, now another tool I need, rats.

Agbay
Sheeter
Projector
and the list goes on and on

My only other option is to just get really good at doing what used to be done years ago without the gadgets. Dream..............

I have pretty much every tool/toy EXCEPT the sheeter! And it's now at the top of my list icon_smile.gif

For what it's worth, I'd buy the Agbay first!! It's, by far, the most useful tool I own!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%