Where Did You Learn Your Cake Decorating Skills?

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm by cylstrial

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 28

Hi all, I've been looking at this site for awhile now and am just AMAZED and the skills everyone has. Please share where you learned your skills. I'm just starting out and am reading different things, looking at different things but just don't know where to go to actually "learn". Thanks for your support.

27 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 28

I took the Wilton classes at Michael's but I am addicted to this website and You Tube has a lot of awesome tutorials! In my opinion, you can get tips and tricks from here and YT that you won't get in the Wilton classesicon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 28

I'm self-taught!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 28

I've now been decorating on and off for about 12 years. I got more into it about 4-5 years ago when I took the Wilton classes at Hobby Lobby. Since then, I've taken one other class with Rebecca Sutterby. I loved the Wilton classes for the simple fact that they taught me the basics. I improved on the simple skills I had.

I also took ceramics in high school, which I absolutely LOVED. It's has helped me with some of the 3D work and painting I've done.

The rest has been from here, books, watching TV and good ol' fashioned trial and error!

Funny thing about me is that I can't draw if my life depended on it! And I have trouble mixing colors (color wheels are the best thing ever!). Yet, I'm a visual person and can usually express myself better on paper or in sculpture than I can any other way.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 28

I get tips and advice from anywhere I can find them. But the best way to learn is to just get in the kitchen and do it! Sometimes I find myself researchinng a technique to death, and then I realize I just have to try it myself using one or more of the methods I've found.

The best part is that the mistakes are edible, and there's always someone at home or work who's willing to eat them.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 28

I was pretty much self taught for several years and then took the Wilton class for kicks. I did learn some tricks but some of the Wilton teachers (pardon me, no offense to the teachers who ARE qualified) were barely graduates of the class themselves! I mean they had just taken class 3 and were starting to teach a month or two later - (I was flabbergasted because their students said they looked like beginners themselves. I would have been livid to have paid for and taken the time to take a class taught by someone who had barely begun.)

I also LOVE the Youtube tutorials - especially by the CC member Tonedna. Her gumpaste rose tutorial is awesome and taught me so, so much. Aine is another one who gives fantastic tutorials on sculpting, roses and working with gumpaste letter cutters.

The library is one of my favorite places to go.... Cakewalk by Margaret Braun is wonderful and there are tons of others with instructions and ideas to inspire. HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 28

(In the style of Juvenile...) She get it from her mama!

j/k

self taught basics w/additional skills learned/picked up by the generousity of the many people on CC and Wilton.com and youtube and ehow and and and and and oh yes, and the books from the public library!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 28

I'm self taught as well. Youtube and Cake Central.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 28

"Back in my day ..... "

When I got started, there was no cable, no food network, no internet, no you-tube, no MIchaels classes. You bought a wilton book and taught yourself, unless you were lucky enough to have a cake supply store handy that gave lessons once a month or once a quarter.

Today, there are so many more options. Techniques I'd never heard of or dreamed of were discovered when I happened across CC. You-tube videos showing me the little secrets and tricks of the trade.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 28

Same as indy. Bought a Wilton yearbook, which was like the guide to the whole cake decorating universe. Just did what it said. Didn't always have the right equipment or ingredients, just made do with what I had.

Started baking at age 12, made my first decorated cake at age 16, using colored icing that came in a can with about 4 tips taped to it; it sprayed out like canned cheese. I now realize just how horrible that stuff was, but at the time I was as proud as a peacock.

Made my first wedding cake at 18, didn't have a clue about cake boards or dowels. Just piled them up one atop the other. Yes, they sank and leaned! Also used that same nasty canned icing on that wedding cake!

I stopped decorating for a few decades, then got back into it when my sons were married. Still used the Wilton designs, methods and tools. Came across CC a couple of years ago, and I could hear the angels singing!!

cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 28

I bet a lot of us started out using the Wilton "carpal tunnel stars" method. I don't know who here on CC coined that phrase, but you gotta love it!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 28

I started by taking all the wilton classes at my local Micheal's craftstore.I had been around cake decorating for a lomg time though as my Mom had a wedding cake business and still does for the last 20 years and I used to go with her on my days off when I was single and living at home and deliver cakes etc...It wasn't until I got married and had kids that I really got the cake passion and that was 8 years ago...Trying new techniques and asking questions and just doing it!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 28

I am almost completely self-taught. When I worked at Publix I had some training on how to do things their way and on doing specific products that they carry, most of which does not translate to cake baking and decorating outside the grocery store.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 28

I bought a Wilton yearbook and practiced the stuff it told how to do when I had time. It became one of those things I could do, but not that well and it wasn't very fun...then, years later, I stumbled upon Cake Central and I have learned tons here icon_biggrin.gif

Books are nice too...if you want to do shaped cakes for kids, Debbie Brown's books are great because she tells how to get lots of different shapes by using regular pans.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 28

Wilton classes, internet, books, and ICES conventions.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 28

Cake Central, You Tube, and practice, practice, practice.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #17 of 28

Wilton Classes, You Tube, CC, books. TV

I also teach the Wilton Classes now to help keep myself involved.
(The Wilton Classes provide a great foundation) But CC provides a whole lot more as do the other options.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 28

one basic class decades ago, books, magazines, internet, workshops, specialty classes, advice from others, trial and error.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 28

I started my world of cake started with my father when I was 9. He taught me until his thumb collapsed from arthritis-then onto Wilton classes when I was a teenager (only taught at JC Penney, then).

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:50pm
post #20 of 28

ChefAngie: that's how I took the Wilton course - at JCPenney! Hey, we share the same birthday!

cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 28

I took Wilton classes at JCP, too, way back in the 1970's or early 1980's.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 28

self taught here, books and internet resources icon_smile.gif

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #23 of 28

self taught, youtube, cake central, one Wilton class (didn't learn much at all - basically just that a good way to keep your icing bag when you're not using it is to stand it tip down in a cup! LOL!), cake shows on TV, AND last, but not least....good old TRIAL AND ERROR! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #24 of 28

Self taught with books and magazines back in the day, way before internet. Heck, before everyone had a PC in their own home. icon_biggrin.gif

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #25 of 28

I'm self-taught with books and lots of practice, or trial and error (some days there is more error) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #26 of 28

I started with wilton, the rest is been self taught..Is been a long road, but a fun one!
Edna icon_smile.gif

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #27 of 28

Mostly self taught starting with Wilton yearbooks and now the wealth of info on the internet. The only classes I've ever taken were on fondant figures from the wonderful Mrs. Jean Price (Price) where I learned a TON!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #28 of 28

I took the Wilton classes and have learned so much from Cake Central and it's members. You just have to love this place!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%