I Need Help With Butter Cream

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm by TexasSugar

Rita1969 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 5

I started the Wilton class and I have to make butter cream.
I would like to know can I use butter instead crisco?
I have never used crisco!

Thanks!

Rita

4 replies
MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 5

Hey Rita1969,
I took the Wilton courses and my instructor said i could all butter but that it would make it a not so white color so she suggested 1/2 unsalted butter and 1/2 Crisco. I still use the Wilton recipe and use 1/2 unsalted butter and 1/2 Crisco. It stays pretty white but has a nice buttery flavor.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

Rita1969 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!
I will try it.

tigerhawk83 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5

buttercream with all butter can be a little softer - particularly in the heat. My wilton instructor actually recommends all shortening then use the clear butter flavor. I make up a big batch of flavor which is 2 parts clear butter flavor, 2 parts clear almond extract, and 3 parts clear vanilla extract - can be tsp or ounces or tablespoons - whatever. Then I use 1 tsp of my flavor mix per 1 cup of shortening.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

As a WMI, I always tell my students to please use the all Crisco recipe for the in class use. I don't have a problem with them icing the cake in half butter/half crisco or all butter. But for the decorating icing I want it to be the all Crisco recipe.

In class you will be handling the icing alot. You will pipe with it, scrap it up and pipe with it some more and repeat. Crisco holds up to the repeative use better than butter because it has a higher melting point. Also if you have really warm hands, the icing will soften and if you are using the butter in class and reusing it, you will probably end up with very, very soft icing.

I know some people don't prefer the taste of all Crisco, but it really does hold up well when you are learning to use the icing and doing the techinques, which is what we are looking for for class use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%