Need Help For A Cake For Tomorrow Night!!

Decorating By richnangela Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm by Sqbizz

richnangela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
richnangela Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake for a home party I'm going to and I thought I'd try to do something special. I have two quick questions - how do I create a combed look without going out to buy another tool? And to do pull out stars and bottom border rosettes it calls for Wilton ready to spread chocolate fudge icing - is there something I can substitute?? I don't have time to run out to the store today or tomorrow to get this done. Any tips or ideas would be great!

6 replies
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't found anything that works better for the comb texture than the metal cake triangle. Maybe someone else will have an idea on that. As far as the icing, just make your own recipe of buttercream and it will be just fine. Wilton tells you to use their product, because they are promoting their products. You can substitute any icing that you want for decorating as long as you make it the right consistency for piping. Wilton icing is usually too soft for me.

smiley1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smiley1218 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

You can use a fork for the comb look. icon_lol.gif For the icing unless you have a store bought icing in fudge. That would be the only thing I can think of. Good look and let me know how it went. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 7

You could probably cut a piece of vinyl/plastic (like kids use for report covers) to simulate the wavey pattern. I think it would work in a pinch. Or if you were only going to use it once, maybe a piece of cardboard, like foil rolls or wax paper come in.
No clue what to substitute for the frosting, sorry.

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 7

Do you have pinking shears? You could cut a piece of plastic which would give you a makeshift comb. As far as the icing goes even my Wilton instructor told us not to ever buy it! Too soft! You are better off making your own buttercream to make designs.

HTH!

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 7

i actually like the wilton fudge icing. yum on brownies!

Sqbizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sqbizz Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnangela

I'm making a cake for a home party I'm going to and I thought I'd try to do something special. I have two quick questions - how do I create a combed look without going out to buy another tool? And to do pull out stars and bottom border rosettes it calls for Wilton ready to spread chocolate fudge icing - is there something I can substitute?? I don't have time to run out to the store today or tomorrow to get this done. Any tips or ideas would be great!

Hi
You can you butter cream frosting and flavor it what ever flavor you want and you can use a fork to make the comb lines.

Good Luck,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%