chormel Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of

I'm doing a cake this weekend for my jobs 10th anniversary. I printed a logo on wafer paper; I just need a little guidance on how to apply it to the cake. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
renee2007 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of

I apply piping gel on the back of the wafer/rice paper. hthicon_smile.gif

HamSquad Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of

Will you be adding the rice paper logo directly on the cake? If yes, will the cake be covered in fondant or BC? So far I've used a rice paper picturce to a fondant frame using very thin layer of piping gel.
Hammy

chormel Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of

I will be putting the logo directly on the cake. The cake will be iced with BC. When you apply the piping gel, do you brush it on or use a spatula? I also wanted to ask... The cake is 12x18, the logo is 9x11... will you be able to tell where the paper ends? I just don't want it to look tacky!

HamSquad Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #5 of

Best to use a brush to apply the piping gel to picture. What will be the color of your BC frosting? Just a suggestion, maybe adding a border to the logo with graphics from computer before printing out, the other maybe piping a border, if so, maybe RI. Not sure how a BC border will work with the rice paper (discoloration). HTH
Hammy

chormel Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of

I'm going to have white BC. I'm doing a yellow and blue border around the cake, but am afraid to discolor the paper. Do you think I could just leave it without a border around the logo and just do a border around the edge of the cake?

HamSquad Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chormel

I'm going to have white BC. I'm doing a yellow and blue border around the cake, but am afraid to discolor the paper. Do you think I could just leave it without a border around the logo and just do a border around the edge of the cake?

I fear the same thing that the rice paper may discolor. Again, you may want to add a blue/yellow border if printing the logo with an edible ink image from your computer to a printer for this purpose. If you do not have this, just leave the border off. Test a piece of rice (waffer) paper with BC and maybe RI to see what will happen if time permitts. HTH
Hammy

chormel Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #8 of

Didn't come out too bad considering what I went through...lol
LL

HamSquad Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:06am
post #9 of

Your cake and logo came out beautiful! Great Job! thumbs_up.gif
Hammy

bisbqueenb Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm

Just read 'somewhere' that you can use crisco to attach the images. This intrigued me so will be trying this with the next rice paper image use. I know the 'dampness' using water or thinned out gel sometimes gets the rice paper too soft to work with without a bit of distortion.

I do not use an edible image printer just my regular printer.... print on the rice paper then mount it onto a gumpaste or fondant plaque to place on either buttercream or fondant covered cakes when it is dry. It can be removed before serving and will keep 'forever' as a keepsake.

labarradulce Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:13am

you can glue it with crisco I just did it icon_smile.gif
and dooon`t try with vodka because it "melts" the paper icon_redface.gif

ibakeinheels Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 2:34am

AThank you Labarradulce! I used Crisco today on my rice paper poker chips applied to gumpaste. Worked like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%