How To Say No

Decorating By tab26852 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm by 7yyrt

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #31 of 39

I know a lot of people will do free cakes for family. . . only the design and flavor is their choice. It's one thing if it's a small cake for a small birthday get together. Then I'll let them choose the design. But you're talking 75 people here.

I think I would have to say "For this ONE time, I'll foot the bill for the cake as long as I get to choose the flavor and design. Any requests beyond that, and I'm gonna need some monetary reimbursment."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I think I would have to say "For this ONE time, I'll foot the bill for the cake as long as I get to choose the flavor and design. Any requests beyond that, and I'm gonna need some monetary reimbursment."

My family knows that I will give the wedding cake as my gift if they want it. They also know "If I get a Bridezilla attitude, then YOU get an invoice." It's also clear that the "bridezilla" label applies to any relative who expresses concerns on the bride's behalf. So dont' send sis or mama to me with "ideas". I get pestered with lots of "ideas" ... you get an invoice. icon_twisted.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:10am
post #33 of 39

I have no problem making a one box cake mix cake for free. If they want to cut it into that many pieces, that's fine with me! LOL

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:27am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I have no problem making a one box cake mix cake for free. If they want to cut it into that many pieces, that's fine with me! LOL

lol! I would so do that to my family!

"What? You said you wanted cake. You never said how much!"

I'd probably leave it in the baking pan too!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:36am
post #35 of 39

My family doesn't ask for cakes - they just tell me they want me to bring something for a get together, and they leave it up to me. And, sometimes I don't always do cake.

I would have no problem telling someone it's going to cost them something for a cake - family or not. I don't have a plethera of money sitting around to buy all the ingredients, ya know? I love the grocery list thing - I would totally do that! I get the - if I help you, will you give me a break on the price? What???? NO - having you here is more of a hinderance than a help. Really???

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:48am
post #36 of 39

The thing with giving is, If it's done in a spirit of love and freewill - there's no other feeling like it. When it's expected or done for fear of reprisal - it raises a whole nother lot of emotions entirely.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:16am
post #37 of 39

If you make this cake, will you have to make all other 11 aunts and uncles a birthday cake for 75 people for their 50ths. That is a big family. Stick to your guns. $55 for a 75 person cake is CHEAP!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #38 of 39

My dad has asked me to make cakes before, but he also paid for the groceries. My parents have seen what it takes to bake and decorate a cake, they've seen how late I stay up, and they've heard the stories of dealing with my "friends" who wonder why I'm not more like Duff or Buddy. I know for a second they wouldn't try to take advantage of that. Where I am now, I just like the practice, but that probably won't be true, depending on where I'm at a year from now, haha.

In your shoes, OP, I would make the cake if you have the time. My mom is also 1 of 12, and its heartbreaking to me that only 2 of them care enough to cough up $5. Don't think of it as doing a favor for your mom, think of it as a birthday present for your uncle. He'll remember it for a long time!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #39 of 39

It sounds like a money issue, rather than time.
We need to keep in mind there are a large variety of financial situations here on the site.

Even a boxed mix cake for 75 (following the directions on said box) costs a certain amount of money, and if you need to feed your kids from that same money...
--
Is there any way we can find for her to make a 75 serving cake on the cheap, that still looks and tastes good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%