How Do I Make A Cake Spin And Add Led Lights?

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 7:18pm by bobwonderbuns

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys,

I have searched the FAQ's here until I am almost cross eyed. While the question has been asked, I can't seem to find answers. How do I make a cake spin and add led lights? What motors (what rpms) do I need? What LED lights work best, what housing do I use?

Ugh... it is sooo frustrating. I want to make a Tinker Belle cake for my niece but I want to raise the bar a bit. I want to make a 12 or 14 inch round, with a Tinker Belle(on a flower) spin around on top. Tinker Belle would be large RKT figure(about 12 14 inches). I want her on her belly laying down with legs up(tv watching style). I want to balance a gumpaste 4 on her feet(age of niece) and have her cupping a gelatin flower(purple) in her hand with a a little led light in side to kind of give it a glow.

The hard part for me is the mechanics and I can't find a tutorial or guide anywhere. I stood in front of motors and led lights, housing, wires and thinga a majigs for about an hour this weekend and all I accomplished was a headache?

Can anyone help me? Can you imagine Tinker Belle flying off the cake on to a screaming 4 year old because the motor I used was too strong. Okay LOL that could be funny if it didn't hit her and just flew away(aunt Trish made my cake fly icon_biggrin.gif )

Anyone?

6 replies
leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 7

A while back sugarshack had a post on her blog abt a cake she made with a motor. The motor lifted a lid, but she may be able to give you an idea.

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 7

I havnt actually done this - but i would suggest a few things
The store you were standing outside - go in and discuss what you are trying to achieve, they are more likly to give you the correct advice.
The Led lights are quite simple, a battery , a switch, wire and a light will achieve this effect.However i would think you need to think about how you would safley get the wires to the flower running them through food safe straws possibly?

As far as the rotation is concerned you require basically a turntable (think record player)
RPM will be determined by how fast you want it to spin and the weight of the cake.

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 7

i recently did a spinning frog on top of a cake (it is the retro frog cake pink/green in my pics). the frogs are 2 figures i made out of fondant. my husband made the turning device by basically building a motor that he got from radio shack and putting it in a housing (box). the top part was just a cd that we attached to the top of it since it didn't need to be very big and i covered that in fondant as well. i will check with him on the specifics of what he used, however since this was the first time we went through some trial and error which turned out a little costly but i have it to use again. after it was done i came across the idea of using a disco ball motor since they do not spin terribly fast and i even found a battery operated one online if you do a google search. you would just need to attach a flat top to set your item on.

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 7

Here is a motorised cake turntable already done http://www.candylandcrafts.com/karouselturntable.htm.
Fabulous cake idea btw. Have you thought of the battery powered led lights?

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys, I will give it a go. back to the Shack! I will post picks if I pull it off!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

I'm wondering how it went... Cake special effects are my new "thing" these days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%