Mixing Petal Dusts...?

Decorating By ernesta Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm by playingwithsugar

ernesta Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:34am
post #1 of 6

Apparently, my SIL has selected a wild and wacky color for her Fall ceremony....burnt orange. I had thought to use rose petals dusted with burnt orange on the cake, but I can't seem to find this shade of dust ANYWHERE!

Any suggestions on whether I can mix other colors to get this shade? If so, any suggestions on which colors?

Oddly enough, I have no eye for color beyond the primaries (had to fly my mil out to help me decide the exact shade of antique gold for the LR wall because I couldn't tell the difference between the shades...LOL!). TIA!

5 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:27am
post #2 of 6

Did she leave you a swatch to photograph? Burnt orange is sometimes left to the interpretation of the mind's eye, and we don't want to give you ill advice.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ernesta Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Theresa,

No, no swatch. She lives in a diff state and this is a surprise for her rehearsal dinner so she doesn't even know about it. Since this isn't the wedding cake I'm not concerned about matching dresses, decor, etc, but I'd like to get as close as I can to her color.

My mil said it's a basic, typical burnt orange - almost could be called rust also, but it definitely is not "Halloween" or pumpkin orange. Would I take orange dust and mix in brown? Will they mix together to make a uniform color, or would I just have orange/brown streaks?

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 6

Start with regular orange paste, then dust from there. Mix some red into orange for the middle of the petal, then add a bit of brown to the first mix for the edges.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ernesta Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 6

Ah, I think I understand. Rather than start with white gumpaste I should use orange then try for more of a reddish orange shade on the dust edging out to the more brownish burnt orange shade around the edges?

I would never have thought of doing it that way! It makes getting the "shade" a whole lot easier because it'll be like a gradual shifting. It won't matter if the whole petal is the same color.

Wow, thanks Theresa! I've been obsessing over this for a week!

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, color the past first. Why do more work than you absolutely have to? Remember, also, that the very bottom tip of the petal is always yellow, slightly tinged with a lime to leaf green at the very, very end, where it attaches to the ovary. I would go no more than 1/4 inch up from the tip with the yellow, then just the very edge and tip with the green.

And yes, you understand the dusting technique perfectly.

Send me pics when they're done!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%