Contracts, Protecting Both Parties . .

Business By sugarsugargal Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 9:35pm by indydebi

sugarsugargal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:51am
post #1 of 8

hi guys, my contract is a work in progress at mo . . .but it all seems to protect me ! how can i put it to a client that it is in her best interests too ?! . . . as far as i can see the relevant bits to the client are ...me agreeing to make the cake and the design specifics/delivery info etc but....thats about it ? the rest is about me . . anyone else got a different spin on how to explain the benefit of a contrac to a client ?...after all . . "its only cake . . ." icon_wink.gif

thanks icon_smile.gif x x

7 replies
 indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugargal

after all . . "its only cake . . ." icon_wink.gif

I can't tell if you're saying that tongue-in-cheek or not, but if ANY part of you believes that, then you need to change what you believe. icon_smile.gif

Read my blog on "why a big contract? It's just a cake!" http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/contract

My contract is designed to protect me. And oh yeah by the way, there might be some good stuff in there for the client, too. This is why 2 parties who are entering into a contractual agreement have their own lawyers. My lawyer is paid to cover MY a$$.

If there weren' so many idiot brides/clients out there, we wouldn't need a contract at all. But I have to protect MY time and MY assets from those who whine that she deserves a full refund because the color didn't perfectly match the inside thread on the seam of the bridesmaids dress so her wedding was RUINED!

HamSquad  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 8

Great article Indydebi, so true, so true, my contract is 3 pages too, may need to add more to it since reading this. thumbs_up.gif
Hammy

sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 8

indydebi . . .ah come ooooooooooooon of COURSE it was tongue in cheek, big style icon_wink.gif

sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

...anyway...THATS what i mean, its all about me . . and i absolutely agree with the reasons why it has to be . . i have learnt a lot in my short time here ;0) . . but my original question was how to sell it to the bride, a contract is for both parties and i was trying to look for benefits to the client too, i guess i am kind of pre-empting the "this is a long document" convesation . . . anyone have any ideas on this ?

cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 8

Do you have a website? Just put your contract on your website. Give your contract it's own little tab.

Then above the contract write whatever you want to say. Something like - All cakes, cupcakes, and cookies require a contract to protect the buyer and the baker.

If you do that, I don't think you'll have too many questions.

sugarsugargal Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 8

thats a good idea...will give that some consideration, thank you icon_smile.gif

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugargal

indydebi . . .ah come ooooooooooooon of COURSE it was tongue in cheek, big style icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was pretty sure it was!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%