Photos

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 10:45am by sugarcheryl

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 8

What is your favorite methods of taking great photos? I thought it would be fun for us all to share how they feel their methods showcase their product best!

I find it is all in great lighting.

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:20am
post #2 of 8

lighting and background

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 8

I'm still struggling with lighting - trying to find the right place and the right angle. But backdrop - I had a large scrap of dark brown mock suede microfiber fabric left over from some sewing I had done. I lay it out over table, wall, whatever just to cover everything. The dark background seems best for the light colored cakes and you don't see my tabletop or counters or appliances (dependent on camera angle). I take some with flash and without - just to see what is better that day. I will also stand on a stool so I can get above the cake to get a good picture of the top.

madgeowens Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 8

yes I do those same things lol

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 8

I bought one of those science fair backgrounds and I use that for a backdrop on my cakes. I usually take pictures of the cakes on my ottoman because I am not tall enough to take the pictures I want when the cake is on the counter. I can turn the backdrop different directions to get the light the way I want it.

The other really helpful thing is a photo editing program. Some colors don't seem to photograph true on food, at least with my camera (my sister has a fancier camera with a food setting, I don't). So the photo editing program helps get the color to look more like it does in real life.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #6 of 8

Lighting is so important so we can see the details, but the clearest details in the world will go unnoticed if the cake is shown next to sink full of dishes and a tampon laying next to it (yep! saw one of those!)

madgeowens Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #7 of 8

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:45am
post #8 of 8

NO indydebi!! We must watch your background and I agree lighting is important.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%