Pardon Me?

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm by G_Cakes

G_Cakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 11

I have a friend who works with troubled adults and helps them get their lives back on track.

He has asked me to make something in recognition of someone receiving a pardon from their criminal record.

He doesn't care if it's cake, cupcakes or cookies but just something that:

A) Recognizes that they have accomplished this milestone
B) Try to throw a little bit of humor into it

Flavors, decorations etc..are up to me.

I was thinking about doing some sugar cookies with the monopoly "Get Out of Jail Free" card but don't want to give them the wrong idea LOL, (one more felony for old times sake)

My hubby suggested a cake with a file sticking out of it, but I am not sure how to broach this one...anyone out there with a sharp dry and witty sense of humor care to jump in with some suggestions?

Would be greatly appreciated!

G's Cakes icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
Melnick Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:18am
post #2 of 11

Maybe something like a grave with criminal record on the tombstone and an angel standing on top or the grave with something like "It's a new day" piped on the cake. Something that sends a message of the past is behind you and hope for the future.

I personally don't like the get out of jail free card as it could trivialise it for this particular group, especially if a pardon is a huge deal to them - KWIM? Funny to us, but not so much to them. I think, since they are troubled adults, you want something that says the past is behind you and the future is before you and we all think you can succeed at this.

jdconcc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:28am
post #3 of 11

Maybe you could illustrate the transition by having a figure on the cake passing from one section to the other through a gate/door. one part (the smaller part) could illustrate their gloomy past and the other part, much brighter and optimistic with some relevant things to them. I don't know how much sense that made I'm so much better with pictures than words! Hope it helps though icon_biggrin.gif

gourmetsharon Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:56am
post #4 of 11

Maybe a road to "stay on the straight and narrow" (Gramma's old saying).

Perhaps handcuffs on the ground that have been shed and walking towards a better life (job, money, family)

If you're good w/ figures, you can a police officer waving goodbye or shaking hands.

Just a few thoughts this early in the morning.

Jen80 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:59am
post #5 of 11

My favourite joke when I was little was:

A man has just been let out of jail and is so excited he jumps up and down yelling "I'm free! I'm free! I'm free!"

A little boy comes up to him and says "So what! I'm four!"

Could be done in a cartoon like fashion. Might be a good one for a FBCT.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 11

I'll ask the criminals in my neighborhood, and see what they would want their cake to say.

I'll get back to you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

Maybe something like a grave with criminal record on the tombstone and an angel standing on top or the grave with something like "It's a new day" piped on the cake. Something that sends a message of the past is behind you and hope for the future.

I personally don't like the get out of jail free card as it could trivialise it for this particular group, especially if a pardon is a huge deal to them - KWIM? Funny to us, but not so much to them. I think, since they are troubled adults, you want something that says the past is behind you and the future is before you and we all think you can succeed at this.

I think this is a great idea. I think this is about tounge in cheek I would get. I worked corrections for years in California and I don't think the inmates would find the humor in a get out of jail free card. In fact, they are big on respect.

cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'll ask the criminals in my neighborhood, and see what they would want their cake to say.

I'll get back to you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LOL! You are too funny!

To the Op - I like the idea's about leaving the past behind and a bright new future is there for them.

patticakesnc Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 11

I was thinking that you could do something with him leaving the ball and chain and stripped clothing behind.

But I really like the get out of jail free idea too....or maybe a cake that looks like the jail square on monopoly and a figure of him sitting on the Just Visiting part...

Jen80 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 11

Ok. I get it now.

They haven't actually been in jail, they're being given a clean slate.

It would be a big deal to them, but are you sure he's not pulling your leg?

If he's not, what about a cake saying "Pheww......what a relief!!"

Very tricky event to decorate for. Especially if he wants it humorous. I'd probably just give them a cookie bouquet.

G_Cakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all the input fellow CC's

Lots of great suggestions and I am going to try and incorporate a couple of ideas from you all into one sweet cake...will post pictures as soon as I am done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%