First Tiered Cake - Burning The Midnight Oil...

Decorating By Caike Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm by __Jamie__

Caike Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 10

This is where I'm at - tiers are baked (I had to do a whole other set because they only rose to 1.5"s each). Cooled/semi-frozen, leveled, torted. And now I'm out of icing, and I think I'm too burnt out to make a whole other batch right now.

If I leave them overnight (until about 1:00PM tomorrow - so 12 hours give or take) without a crumb coat will they be a disaster? Will I lose all the moisture in the cakes? If so I'll muster up some energy, get a coffee, and start...but with working at 9am tomorrow morning, ugh.

Any advice from the night owls would be greatly appreciated. If I can avoid crumb coating, should I store the tiers in the fridge or out for the night?

Re: The pics - The first set of cakes shown here cracked quite a bit. The second set turned out perfectly. And once they were all leveled I think it turned out great.
LL
LL
LL

9 replies
luvmysmoother Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 10

It's actually better to leave them 12 hours if you fill your cakes and dam them with an icing dam you are better off to leave them without a crumb coat until tomorrow (remove as many cake gasses as possible) Hopefully your fillings are not perishable - otherwise they will need to rest in the fridge though. For so long I filled, crumbcoated, fondanted all without resting and I ALWAYS had air bubbles - letting it rest REALLY makes a difference - thank goodness for CC for teaching me thaticon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

phoufer Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 10

I leave mine out to rest overnight, I put filling in then wrap them in plastic wrap and I use a ceramic tile (size of cake) put on top and let rest overnight, amazing how level they are the next morning, trim off any bulging from filling, crumb coat and final icing or fondant. I do all my cakes this way since I read the tip from Leah's about the tile.

Caike Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 10

Ok PERFECT! I was way too exhausted last night to accomplish anymore. Today when I get home I'll be doing the crumb coat. Are there any issues with crumbcoating and doing the fondant in one day? I have to leave to deliver the cake at 7:30. Unfortunately it will have to sit overnight outside in the arena where it's being displayed (could be worse I guess). Either way, I'm glad I left them naked last night - no way I would've been up this early if I continued working. LOL! Thanks guys!

cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

Ok PERFECT! Are there any issues with crumbcoating and doing the fondant in one day?

Nope, not at all. I crumb coat, stick the cake in the freezer for 10 minutes. While the cake is in the freezer, I roll out the fondant. When I pull the cake out of the freezer, I put a little bit of water on the crumbcoat and then put the fondant on the cake.

Caike Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 10

Ok here it is...MAN was that tough. WAY harder then I ever thought it would be. But it's done. thumbs_up.gif What do you guys think?

First time for the following:

* Multi-Tiered cake
* Making own fondant
* Making a successful BC (thanks Deb!)
* Quilting on fondant

I'm sure there's more - but I'm spent, and need a good rest. icon_wink.gif (Some issues I need to ask some questions about this cake too, but again, too tired... LOL)
LL
LL
LL

buggus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 10

that looks great for a first time cake! quick question, the pan with the heating core, is that a 10 inch pan?

Also, how high are your tiers? just want to know for a cake I'm making..lol I like the look of it Thanks!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 10

Nice job! Might I suggest something? An upside down flower nail makes an excellent heating core as well! I always opt for the methods that have the fewest steps involved!

Did you freehand the quilting, or did you use an impression mat? I freehanded quilting for the first time a few weeks ago and boy was it frusterating. Lining up the ruler and making sure it was even was enough incentive to make me want to buy a mat.

Caike Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 10

When I put the first set in, I found that the tiers only turned out to bake up to about 1.5"s, which was too small to tort (so I thought). So instead I baked another set and then filled in between the two cakes. I think they turned out to be 3"s, give or take a little in the end. Probably on the higher side if I was to guess. The pans themselves were a 6", 8", and 10".

Re: The flower nail. I tried that at first on the 8", and actually found it didn't work nearly as well as the heater core. I was trying to save some money but as soon as I paid for the core and tried it I was happy. I agree with the extra step thing but the 10"s baked out much more even with the core in. Works differently for everybody I think! As for the quilting, I used somebody's suggestion of a right angled triangle up against the cake. It worked like a charm. Took a little while but I was pretty happy with the result.

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 10

Rose...forget the mat, buy a cutter, like the one J Dontz sells on Sugardelites. It's my best friend. You don't get the sharp indentations with mats. Check out my gift box cake and the pink tiara cake. Used the cutter on those. That way, you can make it poof out too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%