What Are Your Talents, Other Than Cakes?

Lounge By drummer27 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm by KitchenKat

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 18

What is everyone good at other than cakes? Ceramics, painting, music, can you juggle chainsaws or swallow swords?

In my family I'm constantly being referred to as the "Jack of All Trades". I am an amateur photographer and more often than not I have a camera glued to my face. I also love music, I play drums (my first love!), violin, flute and saxophone. My most favorite of everything is ballet (though sometimes it is strange to be the only one in the class that is married and has a child). icon_rolleyes.gif I always say to my husband that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. icon_wink.gif

What do you all do when you aren't caking?

17 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 18

Well for me...it's doing hair. I taught myself how to braid when I was young (I practiced on my Cabbage Patch dolls) and if I see a style I can pretty much look at it and duplicate it on the first try. I first wanted to be a Cosmetologist, but cake decorating was calling my name lol! I also dance and write poetry and short stories!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:40am
post #3 of 18

Well...(takes a deep breath)...in addition to baking, I'm also an excellent cook. I also sew and do embroidery/needlework and applique. I do all sorts of crafty stuff, like make my own Christmas tree ornaments, paint on glass, floral arranging, beading/jewelery making, card-making, and scrapbooking. I draw (charcoal and pastels) and paint (oils, acrylics, watercolors). Haven't done anything with clay in a long time, but I'd like to make my own creche and nativity figures. I write (poetry and short stories mostly, but am working on a novel). I sing soprano in my church's choir. I used to be active in drama and community theater, but haven't had the time of late. I garden. I'm also really good at doing make-up: was the make-up artist on several student films in college.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 18

I'm good at pretty much anything handy. I garden, sew, quilt and make cards. I love home reno projects and have learned to use all the power tools which used to scare me silly, so now I can fit siding, hang drywall, lay laminate flooring, fit a toilet, install kitchen cabinets, that kind of thing. I also did all the cabling for our home theatre system. The only thing I don't do any more is car stuff, because they are so complicated these days, but I used to do stuff on my old car.

I also cook. (Nod to Steven Segal in 'Under Siege'!!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 18

I learned to crochet when I was 7 and have been doing it for 40 years. Love cross-stitching but not the little craftsy stuff ... I do the big "scenes" stuff. I dabbled in making theme pinecone wreaths for awhile (one in our game room is decorated with dice, poker chips, and playing cards).

we own our own karaoke machine. (I didn't say I COULD sing ... I said I LIKED to!)

And believe it or not, I like to paint rooms. Most people hate painting their living room but I LOVE it!

I used to own rental properties so I can do drywall and roofing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 18

Looking beautiful~~don't hate me.

icon_lol.gif

Well I crochet too.
And I am fast fast fast.
The first row is tight,
the second row is tighter and I'm done!!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now I have cross stitched so much that when I drive, the lines on the streets start looking like a grid I need to fill in with giant x's. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 18

My first love is actually interior design. If I had the money, I'd renovate/redecorate my house. I also love to paint (on canvas).

I can also sew and also have experience in construction. I can lay hardwood floors, put up some dry wall, tile, etc.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

My first love is actually interior design. If I had the money, I'd renovate/redecorate my house. I also love to paint (on canvas).

I can also sew and also have experience in construction. I can lay hardwood floors, put up some dry wall, tile, etc.

Hey, your signature says your cake style is called Rylan Style--How 'bout "Rylan Styling"

Don't mind me, I just love the balance of that phrase/tagline, like that.

icon_biggrin.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 18

I love to crochet, and also cross stitch. I like making Christmas tree ornaments (satin balls with beads and sequins, or cotton thread crocheted snowflakes). I grew up in dance, excelling in ballet and pointe, although tap and jazz were a lot of fun, too! I also have a flute that I sometimes try to re-teach myself. Just don't have the time to devote to it with work and all. But I just can't seem to part with it!

I like this thread. We mostly chat about sweets here, and I'm enjoying finding out what everyone enjoys doing! icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 18

I can do lots of things

painting (on canvas)
embroidery
blown glass
costume design (sewing and related stuff)

i'm also crazy good at body and face painting icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

I can do lots of things

painting (on canvas)
embroidery
blown glass
costume design (sewing and related stuff)

i'm also crazy good at body and face painting icon_smile.gif

Blown glass? Get out of town! You'd be great with blown sugar then!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 18

I just have the usual hobbies...sewing, quilting, jewelry-making with beads, painting, making Christmas ornaments (usually the glass balls with rhinestones or sequins glued on, or painting the ceramic ones),etc...My only semi-unusual hobby is shooting.

I don't do most of it anymore because I only have enough storage space for a few hobby-related items and it all goes to my cake stuff. I used to do some graphics stuff but I got tired of spending time making things that just had to live in the computer.

Oh, I can cut hair and fix cars when I have to, but that's more survival skills and less hobby.

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 18

I also went to beauty school so I can do hair, it's not my favorite thing to do though. (That's why I'm not longer in the business!) I pretty much do anything crafty which drives my husband nuts. Jewelry making is my newest "busy" project that I've gotten into. Sometimes the little tiny beads make my eyes go crossed though. I wish I had time to get back into throwing pottery but with a 4 year old it's kind of hard....

I've spent the last 2 yeas completely redoing the landscaping around our house. My husband doesn't really have interest in it so I get creative freedom and I love it. I've gone from not being able to keep a spider plant alive to actually knowing what I'm doing outside in the garden. I have a new respect for people with weedless flower beds and immaculate lawns!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:46am
post #14 of 18

Life outside of cakes...lets see if I can recall something LOL

I have my degree in Network engineering and computer programming. So pretty much anything computer related...but after the dot com bubble burst so did my career.

I don't crochet (my sister does though and she is fantastic at it) but I do cross stitch, but lately my eyes have been crossing more that the stitching.

I also have a weird little hobby/quirk where I like to redo the layout in a room...you know like put the tv on this wall and move the sofa under the window etc...

DH always says he is never sure what he is gonna find when he comes home from work some times LOL

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:54am
post #15 of 18

I like to paint & sew.....I'm good at hair, but I don't necessarily enjoy it, lol! I'm a karaoke lover but like Debi, just because I *like* it doesn't mean I'm good at it. icon_smile.gif I also love advertising & marketing.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:32am
post #16 of 18

My fave is cross stitch. I can do a bit of embroidery (ribbon, silk) and would like to learn more. I do small sewing projects like teddy bears, pot pourri bags and applique. Can't for the life of me sew my own clothes.
I can play the piano and I love gardening.

We're on our second reno house. I mostly do the painting, grouting and design plus other odd jobs like fitting blinds etc.

I love doing christmas crafts. I make timber cutouts and paint them: santas, christmas trees etc.

I was a brown belt/black tip in Tae Kwon Do, but hurt my back and couldn't get my black belt. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:34am
post #17 of 18

I love to cook and make quilts

Molly thumbs_up.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 18

My husband says I have a talent for spending money! icon_biggrin.gif

I actually surprised myself when I discovered my love for cake designing because I never thought I was creative, at least as far as visual arts goes. But as my friends say, creativity flows from more than one spring; so though I can't draw or color or paint, I guess my artistry comes out okay on icing and fondant.

I love singing and I sing in a choir. But I also love pop, r & b, new country, broadway and icon_redface.gif karaoke. icon_redface.gif

I write - mostly short, humorous features for community magazines and publications.

Oh and I love doing make-up, styling friends' outfits and helping them with their total "look". I'm definitely a girly-girl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%