Questions For Wmi's

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 1:17am by cylstrial

cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

Hello Wilton Method Instructors -

I was wondering if any of you have ever done a Grand Opening Demostration for a new store opening? If so, how long was the demo? And how many tiers did you decorate? And I'm assuming that you only use flowers from the Wilton classes to decorate the cake?

6 replies
sweetcakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 7

are you a new wmi?? if so pm me, there is a message board just for wmi.

cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 7

Awesome! I had no idea! I'm going to PM you now!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 7

Oh yes, go join the WMI board! icon_smile.gif

For a Grand Opening, I would contact the store as well as your Wilton Supervisor for how long they want you to demo. I suggest contacting both, because you don't want to plan on demo-ing for 3 hours then have the store tell you they will only pay you for two.

Michaels use to do 3 hour demo's and it seemed like a long period of time, but time almost always flew. Same thing with the 2 hour demo's we do now. I really wouldn't plan a very labor intensive project for the demo. I usually stick to cute, easy and impressive. You want to be able to stop and talk to the people that come by rather than work with your head down the whole time.

Over the 5 years I've been a WMI I have gone from making sure I have something to work on the full time to something that will take me half the time so I can talk up the classes to people. Other wise they will only watch for a few seconds then pass by.

I never do anything that isn't going to be taught in the classes, and I stick with Course 1 things, unless instructed other wise. I do this because I feel that the people that haven't had any classes are going to be the ones to see and want to learn. And you don't want to scare them off by doing something too complicated. They will look at it and go, I could never do that, and walk on. I also always stick to products we carry in the store. While I have pans and things that Wilton makes that would be cool to use in a demo, I won't use it if I had to order them.

I do have samples sitting on my table of things they would learn in the other courses, such as royal icing flowers from C2, the fondant rose for C3, and the fondant box and gumpaste flowers from the F/GP class. That way those that know the basics can see that we offer more as well.

cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 7

That's great advice Texas Sugar! Thanks for taking the time to think about everything so throughly. I appreciate it!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 7

You are welcome.

I use to over think demo's and thought more is better. And then after a few years you learn that it is really the quick simple things that get people's attentions. I love doing roses and clowns for demo's. Everyone wants to do a rose and I can show them how easy it will be if they take the classes and learn. And clowns always get the kids attention. icon_smile.gif

Just relax, have fun, and chat up everyone that walks by.

cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Just relax, have fun, and chat up everyone that walks by.

Well that's one that I can do well. icon_biggrin.gif

But I'm especially glad that you told me that I should do something simple so that I'll have time to talk to people.

Would you do a cake dummy for the demo? Or use a real cake and serve it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%