Cake Is Now A Reality Tv Star!

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm by melodyscakes

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 9

What a treat to find a great cake article in the USA weekend magazine section of our Sunday paper. It's all about how America Loves Cake! icon_biggrin.gif
Big pic of Duff with an article all about his biz. A terrific cake by Mile Elder winner of the first episode of the Ultimate Cake Off. Listings of all the cake shows. Wanted to share the site they listed to see photos of his cake and there you can also find links to the ultimate cake off contestants with videos & pics. It is www.usaweekend.com. They called Duff's cakes "manifestations of happiness"----that's so cool! Have fun watching & happy cakin to you all.

8 replies
heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 9

this cake revolution has been so great for our business. I only wish they would say how much the cakes are. I can't tell you how many people have had a seizure in our bakery when I cost out a cake like those fancy cakes on tv. and I am not even close to what they charge. Some quickly rethink their design that is for sure.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 9

I also wish that all the TV cake stars would flash the price of their cake on the screen. It would be so helpful to cake decorators and to cake civilians.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 9

I was reading the same paper yesterday while having tea. I enjoyed it.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlys

this cake revolution has been so great for our business. I only wish they would say how much the cakes are. I can't tell you how many people have had a seizure in our bakery when I cost out a cake like those fancy cakes on tv. and I am not even close to what they charge. Some quickly rethink their design that is for sure.

I do know that Duff starts at $1,000 - and goes up from there. icon_eek.gif And you have to book months in advance.

Wonder just what you get for $1,000.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #6 of 9

It's so funny that there was an article about it -- I wish I'd have seen it. My husband and I always laugh because it seems like everyone watches these shows!! Wherever I am and I mention that I'm practicing decorating cakes, people of both genders and all ages say, "Oh, do you watch Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss?" Then, they start telling me about their favorite episode. It never fails!!!

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:11am
post #7 of 9

Just found your forum! LOL!!! This is Mike Elder, and I agree about the price theng but theres also alot of people that call me with no clue what a cake like that takes to do, so don't feel bad that some of them balk at the price!!! I had a lady the other day that wanted a b-day cake for her son. 15-20 people ( my min is twice that) but for that amount she wanted.... His truck backing a duck boat into a lake with ducks in it and the boy standing, shotgun propped over his shoulder, with his birddog. After i quit laughing I set her straight. she got the lil green dodge in my album. some people though don't care what it cost! (see my deer head cake) You gotta love those!!!
Anyway glad to see your excited as I am about the show!!!! and cake explosion! I'm getting ready to go shoot season 2
thanks again
Mike

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 9

Mike, all I can say is WOW!!!!! Thank you so much for all the pictures! Your bike is AWESOME!!

http://www.usaweekend.com/09_issues/090906/090906cakephotos01.html

Oh, and welcome to Cakecentral!!

Gail

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 9

season two? of the ultimate cake challange?
cool!

melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%