Does Anyone Do Custom Scrapbooking?

Lounge By CakeMommyTX Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 9:20am by Melnick

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 2

I've been asked by a friend to make some invitations for her daughters b-day.
She will pay me for them but I don't know how much to charge?
I know how much the materials will cost but they are time consuming so how do I figure my time?
If anyone does this and sells them how/what do you charge?

1 reply
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:20am
post #2 of 2

I once ventured into selling invitations. I set myself up a little business. A friend paid $300 for invitations and I thought "I can do that for way cheaper" so I gave it a whirl. Turned out, I was far more concerned with perfection for strangers and the things took so long to finish because I was so pedantic that I ended up making about $5 an hour. My regular job pays around $35 an hour so needless to say, I didn't pursue it for long!

To work out my price that I didn't charge enough for - I worked out the material costs, doubled it then added an extra 10% for wastage and then I either doubled that again or just added $50 for labour. If I were to do it again, I'd probably make one invitation - see how long that took then work out how much time it would take overall.

I still enjoy making invitations - I just do them as a gift for my friends or family rather than charging for it as it takes the stress out for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%