Need Advise.. Not Sure If I Have A Cake Order For Tomorrow..

Decorating By marion123 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm by __Jamie__

marion123 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hello CC friends.. I really need some advise.. I have been making cakes mostly for my freinds and family for about 2 years now..
My daughter's old daycare asked me to make a Baby Shower cake for two teachers who are expecting tomorrow. Well, everything is set in place and I speak with the director (who is also my friend) at 9:30 am and she tells me that one of the girls was admitted to the hosiptal this am. I tell her to keep me posted and that it is no big deal if she wants to push the order to another date. Fast forward to 3:30 this afternoon. I email the dircetor and she tells me no news yet. I tell her to keep me posted.
As of 7:15, I still haven't heard anything and I call and leave her a message on her home and cell. I tell her that I need to know if I am doing the cake for tomorrow, it is getting late and I need to start the cake.
It is now 7:40 and nothing.. It was going to be a 1/2 sheet cake decorated like a Baby Sweater.
So what do I do.. Do I call her again at 8:00 and basically tell her that I haven't heard from you, so I'm not doing the cake thinking that since the girl was admitted to the hospital for swollen feet and high blood presure.

I'm so nervous she is going to call me at 9:00 tonight and tell me that the cake is still on. I also work full time. What wouldy ou guys do?
Thanks so much

6 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

Hello CC friends.. I really need some advise.. I have been making cakes mostly for my freinds and family for about 2 years now..
My daughter's old daycare asked me to make a Baby Shower cake for two teachers who are expecting tomorrow. Well, everything is set in place and I speak with the director (who is also my friend) at 9:30 am and she tells me that one of the girls was admitted to the hosiptal this am. I tell her to keep me posted and that it is no big deal if she wants to push the order to another date. Fast forward to 3:30 this afternoon. I email the dircetor and she tells me no news yet. I tell her to keep me posted.
As of 7:15, I still haven't heard anything and I call and leave her a message on her home and cell. I tell her that I need to know if I am doing the cake for tomorrow, it is getting late and I need to start the cake.
It is now 7:40 and nothing.. It was going to be a 1/2 sheet cake decorated like a Baby Sweater.
So what do I do.. Do I call her again at 8:00 and basically tell her that I haven't heard from you, so I'm not doing the cake thinking that since the girl was admitted to the hospital for swollen feet and high blood presure.

I'm so nervous she is going to call me at 9:00 tonight and tell me that the cake is still on. I also work full time. What wouldy ou guys do?
Thanks so much

Yes, that's what I would do. People assume cakes are magic, but they take time. If she calls back, tell her you are sorry, but it's too late to start the cake and will need to be postponed.

blessedist Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 7

If you start in 10 minutes, you'd still be up all night....by the time the cake cools, you'll be knocked out! And I'm sure the girl isn't coming to work tomorrow anyway even if she is released. Do it another time.

miss_sweetstory Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:00am
post #4 of 7

Isn't the shower supposed to be for TWO women? Were you given the indication that the party would be cancelled if one of the two couldn't make it? Did the director absolutely understand that you weren't going to make a cake unless she provided you with an update before your message of 7:15?

I guess I would assume the party is on unless specifically told otherwise.

marion123 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

***UPDATE*****
Hi CC Members. I wanted to give you a quick update, they did want the cake and I made the cake.. It wasn't to bad.. I actually decorated it while I was watching the John Gosslin special on TV and I set my alarm for 4:00 and the next morning, finish it just in time to get in the shower and start my day.. Thank you for the advise..

cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

I'm glad that you were able to figure it out!

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 7

Wow...all that for cake. No wonder some of you guys that don't work with contracts and set requirements get burned out. Yikes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%