Does Everyone Make Sandwiched Cakes??

Decorating By Steelgoddess Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 1:41am by indydebi

Steelgoddess Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 12

Or do you just bake a cake without filling the middle...

Just interested, thanks ladies!
xx

11 replies
Win Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 12

All my cakes are filled. I even fill my sheet cakes. HTH!

HeatherWantsCake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 12

Mine, too. Though torting sheet cakes makes me want to fling buttercream at the walls, I do it every time. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 12

"Sandwich" cakes! That's a new one ..... never heard 'em called that before! icon_lol.gif

Depends on the style and size of cake. The term "sheetcake" usually means a single layer, 2" tall, unfilled cake. Layer cakes are usually two 2" layers of cake with a filling between. A filling is needed as this is the "glue" that holds the two layers of cake together.

Some people will tort a 2" tall sheetcake (resulting in having two 1" layers of cake) and put filling between that. This is not to be confused with a layer cake .... it's a torted single layer cake.

So to answer your question on how I do it ...... my 2" tall cakes have no filling and only my sheetcakes are 2" tall (12x18's or 11x15's).

All others have filling.

Jenala87 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 12

I always fill my cakes, it allows for more creativity in flavor combinations.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Sandwich" cakes! That's a new one ..... never heard 'em called that before! icon_lol.gif

Depends on the style and size of cake. The term "sheetcake" usually means a single layer, 2" tall, unfilled cake. Layer cakes are usually two 2" layers of cake with a filling between. A filling is needed as this is the "glue" that holds the two layers of cake together.

Some people will tort a 2" tall sheetcake (resulting in having two 1" layers of cake) and put filling between that. This is not to be confused with a layer cake .... it's a torted single layer cake.

So to answer your question on how I do it ...... my 2" tall cakes have no filling and only my sheetcakes are 2" tall (12x18's or 11x15's).

All others have filling.

That's typically what a layer cake is called in many European countries.

Steelgoddess Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry im from London and the term sandwiching is same as layered..

Thanks for all the replies, Im not new to baking but am new to the whole fondant fancy cake splicing etc...

Ok so say I have a large tin a 12" cake can i use a cake slicer to cut it will it be ok????

Like thisL:

Win Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelgoddess

Thanks for all the replies, Im not new to baking but am new to the whole fondant fancy cake splicing etc...

Ok so say I have a large tin a 12" cake can i use a cake slicer to cut it will it be ok????

Like thisL:

No problem! I knew what you meant. If your cake is 2" thick, then I would slice (you will see it called "torting")it to make two 1" layers. icon_biggrin.gif Some people bake in pans that make a 3" cake and then slice two times to make three 1" layers.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Hi there!

I hope someday to visit your country and city! I enjoy all things English....especially following your monarchy!

You sure can use a leveler like the one in the picture...though that one is a lower end type and is limited in size.....but many people "torte" their layers just using a large serrated knife. Simply push a row of toothpicks around the edges to mark the height you want to cut and use the knife to cut the cake into two layers. If you get more involved in cake decorating and need a better leveling saw, there are a number available on the internet....there's a great one I found from Australia that might be available in a cake shops in England as well. Take a look at:

http://cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=3099

This one lets you cut a single cake into three layers at one time!

Steelgoddess Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 12

Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!! For your replies...

Will report back on how it goes. Im scared lol!!

Win Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:20am
post #11 of 12

You will do fine! The more you practice, the easier it gets. It's also a little easier if you chill the cake for about 15-20 minutes before you slice.

Looking forward to your report!

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #12 of 12
Quote:

This is why I love CC .... you never know what tidbit of new information you're going to learn! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%