Why You Need To Embrace Social Media

Business By CakeForte Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm by YouCaterer

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 9

If you have balked at the idea of adding social media to your marketing plan, you should think again.
key points from the video: "Social media is not a fad, it is a shift in the way that we communicate as a culture."

The same way transportation was changed by trains, planes, and cars.

8 replies
2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #2 of 9

Thanks...It was very interesting icon_smile.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:39am
post #3 of 9

Our local community college is having a class for local business owners to teach them how to capitalize the marketing potential of websites like utube, facebook adn twitter. I am looking forward to the class and learning how to maximize these inexpensive advertising options.
I currently text some of my customers when something comes hot out of the oven or when I am experimenting with a new recipe. I always have people come in due to that.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:40am
post #4 of 9

Very cool. I gotta get an IPOD!!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 9

I can personally attest to the power of social media in marketing. Last week, my son-in-law Twittered about my Flickr account where I post all my pictures. A writer for a local weekly paper saw it and looked at my pictures. Then she wrote this article with a picture of one of my cakes:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/Cobweb/archives/2009/09/03/cool-cakes-in-boise-gum-paste-and-a-creepy-naked-dude

Only the first paragraph was about me, but it was great free exposure, and a wonderful nod to my decorating skills. I'm still all aglow about it! I just wish she'd known about my web site that I'd just gotten active.

The rest of the article is kind of funny. Scott Clark Woolley's You Tube video is decidedly weird.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:24am
post #6 of 9

I've recently signed up with myspace, now my daughter tells me thats old I need to be on face book. I haven't even figured out how to get people to look at my pictures yet. Wait ,I work all the time I don't have friends, yep that could be it.LOL

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:01am
post #7 of 9

You definitely need to be on facebook. But be warned - it is very addictive!! LOL! Seriously I have gotten lots of orders from facebook. I also have a fanpage that is a work in progress as I get my legal kitchen up and running. Already have 300 fans and haven't even opened yet. If just a fraction of those people become customers it has paid off - FOR FREE!! Can't beat the advertising costs!

Susan

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

The rest of the article is kind of funny. Scott Clark Woolley's You Tube video is decidedly weird.

Scott is kind of weird. very talented, but a little out there.

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

Congrats for the free press & your cake pictured there is adorable! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%