Sugar Shack Icing Greasy When Colored-Why?

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm by ddaigle

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 9

Okay,
I am a huge fan of Sugar Shack (Susan). I have spent oh so much money because of her on all kinds of cool "cake stuff".
I made her icing for the first time and loved it. I used some of it uncolored and it was perfect. Then I colored some blue (it is the spongebob cake in my pictures) and it became greasy-very greasy. It also didn't crust that well. What did I do wrong?

Also, does anyone know how it holds up in the heat? I usually use a crisco resicpe when doing a cake for something outdoors, but I really like the way this icing finishes (when it isn't greasy).

8 replies
Libberator3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libberator3000 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 9

I had that happen to me with another buttercream recipe recently. Someone else told me that I might have used too much color. Did you use gel? Did you use a few drops or squeeze tons in like I did?

Can't help you with the other stuff... I've never made Sugarshack's recipe.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 9

What brand and type of color did you use? And how much did you use?

FYI, hi-ratio has more emulsifiers and stabilizers than Crisco, so it will be more stable in hot weather. icon_smile.gif

HTH

cai0311 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 9

I used Wilton brand gel colors. I dipped a toothpick in the color and than ran it through the icing. I only needed a medium blue so I only did it once, but maybe that was too much. I haven't had the problem before I started using Sugar Shack's recipe and I really want to keep using, so should I just use something else if I need to color the icing?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 9

I had a greasy batch of buttercream because I bought the wrong "Great Value" shortening. Both have the same blue label, however, one says "all vegetable" and one does not. I know crisco took out the transfat, and the great value brand has it in it....but in my strore there are 2 versions of the great value and one left me with floating grease! It was so yukky!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I had a greasy batch of buttercream because I bought the wrong "Great Value" shortening. Both have the same blue label, however, one says "all vegetable" and one does not. I know crisco took out the transfat, and the great value brand has it in it....but in my strore there are 2 versions of the great value and one left me with floating grease! It was so yukky!

You probably got the one with animal fat a.k.a. LARD. Great Value has both right next to each other on the shelf.

I love everything about Sharon... she is kind, gracious, and oh so knowledgeable. I just don't love her buttercream. I have always found it to be greasy in texture as well as in "tongue feel." With or without the coloring.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

What brand and type of color did you use? And how much did you use?

FYI, hi-ratio has more emulsifiers and stabilizers than Crisco, so it will be more stable in hot weather. icon_smile.gif

HTH

I've seen mention of "hi-ratio" shortening previously on threads but not sure what you mean - please explain.

cai0311 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

I did not use Lard or Crisco, I used Sweetex just like the recipe calls for.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 9

Yep Win..that's the yukky, wrong shortening I grabbed. I've switched back to the buttercream that the ratio of butter to shortening is the same. I just don't have luck with the all shortening buttercream. Cari....I am clueless as to why you got the grease. Hope someone can help you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%