Freezing Cakes

Decorating By bethyscake Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:59pm by prterrell

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

Im making a cake for my fiance and its for this saturday night. I dont have much time to work on it since we both are home these next few days. I was hoping to make the cakes early so that on saturday all I have to do is cover it up in fondant while he is out that morning. Would freezing work and how should I go about doing that. I dont want the cakes to turn out soggy after I thaw them out after. Any ideas?

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

Freezing won't make the cake soggy. You can either freeze the cake after it is baked and cooled to room temp, then thaw later and ice/fondant/decorate OR you can freeze the iced (un-fondanted) cake so that once it is thawed all you have to do is the fondant and decorating.

If you are freezing the bare (un-stacked, un-filled, un-iced) cake, let it cool to room temp. Wrap each layer in plastic wrap and then place in a large freezer bag. If the layers are too large to put into freezer bags, wrap the layers in aluminum foil after the plastic wrap. It helps to put the cakes on a cookie sheet in the freezer to give them stability and to make sure they don't get the lines from the shelving in them. When it's time to thaw the cakes, remove them from the freezer and unwrap down to the plastic wrap. Leave the cake on the counter for 30 min to an hour. If you are going to torte the layers, it is okay to do that while they are frozen and then do the filling and stacking and crumb-coat. Just make sure the cake is thawed completely before putting on the fondant or condensation may form and cause the fondant to get too soft.

If you are freezing the stacked, filled, and iced cake, place the cake on it's cake board in the freezer until frozen solid. Then carefully place a circle of wax or parchment paper on the top and wrap a piece around the sides of the cake. Then wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and foil. When you take the cake out to thaw, take off all the wrapping, including the wax/parchment paper while the cake is still frozen. Let the cake thaw completely before applying the fondant.

HTH!

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for the reply. How long do you think a two layer cake, stacked filled and iced would take to defrost? couple of hours?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah, probably. If you're going to work on it in the evening after work, just take it out and unwrap it in the morning and it'll be ready to got that night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%