Can I Make These Ribbon Roses Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By yummymummy Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm by yummymummy

yummymummy Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 9

I love this cake that Jennifer made http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=852403 and wanted to know if I can make the ribbon roses out of fondant instead of RI? My cake will be frosted in bc. If I do make them from fondant, how should I attach them to the cake? Just some bc on the backs of them? I've never done cascading flowers before! Thanks so much for any help! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 9

They would be really heavy if you do it that way. I think you'd have to slice the backs off of them, and dry them on cocktail skewers so you can insert them that way.

icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 9

yes , you can,, make your ribbon roses from fondant.. yes, cut off the excess.. let them dry.. or have your cake ready... make a mound on top of r/i.. or mound of fondant.. makes the ribbon roses as you go.. and glue all on with royal icing.. all the way down.. use r/i leaves. or make the quick leaf like you do for the fondant ribbon roses. it will do great.. hth..

yummymummy Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 9

Hmmm...I thought that might be an issue. No problem! I hate making RI, so I have a backup plan. What about this cake? http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1205493 These ruffle flowers were made w/ gumpaste. Can I sub fondant for these and just keep them at the bottom of the cake like in the photo?

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 9

Ohhhhh, I just noticed your cake will be BC. I wouldn't try something like that in BC. The fondant helps you avoid dings and dents from placing the flowers. One of my "must be fondant cakes" for sure, AND the fondant really helps support the weight of those flowers...RI or fondant made. icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 9

those look similar to the meringue ribbon roses on one of Martha Stewart's cakes I love the look of those. I agree with Jamie, fondant roses would be heavy and you'd have to thin your edges to get the right effect. It never hurts to play around and see what you come up with if you have some left over fondant. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 9

Now, as for the second cake you posted, you could totally just pile those on, and "glue" a few on to the bc....those are much lighter than rolled roses.

yummymummy Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 9

Ugh..I can't do the cake in fondant. This couple I'm doing the cake for doesn't mind fondant accents, but wants bc for most of the cake. icon_sad.gif

yummymummy Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Now, as for the second cake you posted, you could totally just pile those on, and "glue" a few on to the bc....those are much lighter than rolled roses.

Yay!!! Now I just need to figure out colors. It's for a 25th anniversary and I need to add in some silver somewhere. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%